Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
7yo weird habit

amother

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:50 pm
Hi all, DD7 has recently (past month or so) started a new habit of touching the floor. When she gets up to go somewhere, or goes from one type of flooring to another, she sort of taps or brushes her hands on the floor, jumps back up, and goes on with her life.

I asked her if she feels she has to, and she told me that her hands feel empty otherwise.

Is this something I should be worried about? She has always been more of a sensory seeker, but I've never seen her do anything like this until now! I don't see any symptoms resembling Tourettes or OCD, and I honestly don't know if it's just a habit or something I should do something about.

(Her ped is not very good, so I'm not going to waste my time asking him.)

Any insight?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:59 pm
my son does similar weird behaviour and I was also thinking tourettes/tics. I spoke to an occupational therapist who thinks he would benefit from some therapy. so I'm about to have him assessed. I don't know more than that but maybe speak to an OT and see what they think?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 9:15 pm
I've seen kids who do that kind of thing. Sometimes they're anxious kids in general. Sometimes they're simply sensory seeking, and they combine it with a somewhat compulsive behavior. Do you have other concerns that you would like addressed? If this is part of a bigger picture it may be worth evaluating.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children