Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Fridge, freezer or counter?

cranberry

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:34 pm
I made a number of cakes, cookies, etc. for Shabbos day. Will they still be fresh if I leave them on the counter (wrapped or in containers), or do they need to go in either the fridge or the freezer?

Thanks

Happy18

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:35 pm
It depends what kinds of cakes and cookies.

cranberry

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:37 pm
honey cake, oatmeal blueberry bars, banana bars (really a muffin recipe), brownies, chocolate chip cookies

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 10:22 pm
Never store baked goods in fridge. Fridge temp is precisely the temp at which baked goods go stale fastest. I'll skip the scientific explanation (because I forgot the exact details)but it has to do with how starch interacts with water. Basically, at fridge temp starch gives up the most water, which means the baked good dry out fastest.

Today is Thursday--no point freezing your baked goods. However, it sounds as if you made an awful lot of stuff. If you don't expect to use it all up over Shabbos, freeze the excess now, because in hot, humid weather, mold becomes a very real possibility within a few days. In winter the stuff could stay out a lot longer.

cranberry

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 10:31 pm
Okay, so that explains why things always go stale so fast when I put them in the fridge. I thought I wasn't covering them well enough. I used to leave all cakes, etc. on the counter, until a Shabbos lunch guest brought over a cake on Friday afternoon. When I went to serve it after lunch, it had gone bad. I forget what type it was (black forest, maybe), but they said it was supposed to go in the fridge.

Anyway, I baked a lot today because we're making a kiddush Shabbos morning. I have to bake more tomorrow, but at least I know that should be able to stay out. I was concerned that what I made this afternoon would be moldy by Shabbos. Thanks for setting my mind at ease.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics