Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Therapist locks door during session
Previous  1  2  3

princessleah

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for the validation. I agree. That's why we left. I believe it came from inexperience. That's why I asked OP for the age/years of experience of her therapist.
Should I have reported my experience to the organization that recommends her?

I don't know about that, how long ago was it? Where did this person work? ie, does she have any kind of supervisor? What kind of license does she have?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 2:55 pm
princessleah wrote:
I don't know about that, how long ago was it? Where did this person work? ie, does she have any kind of supervisor? What kind of license does she have?

She is a social worker affiliated with an organization that helps families in crisis.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 3:17 pm
ok locking you out of the house is weird. you didnt say that before

pause

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 3:20 pm
This situation sounds super weird and creepy. I would not go back.

sourstix

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 3:21 pm
[quote="pause"]This situation sounds super weird and creepy. I would not go back.[/quote]

why? please explain

pause

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 3:26 pm
sourstix wrote:
why? please explain

Do you have a five year old? I do. Five years old is way too young to go into a stranger's house alone and feel safe. I, as a mother, know that. Why doesn't the therapist know that?

This is in addition to the lack of courtesy shown to the mother. She asked the mother to hang around. Where exactly? On the outside steps??? I would not want my child working with someone who doesn't know how to treat adults with basic respect.

princessleah

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 3:56 pm
amother wrote:
She is a social worker affiliated with an organization that helps families in crisis.

Then I would speak to the social worker's supervisor at this organization. Does she work FOR them? Or they just refer people to her?

Sara89

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 4:18 pm
As a therapist who works with children your son's age, I am not ok with the idea of therapist locking the door. I usually keep the door closed or mostly closed for confidentiality reasons and do not have parents sit in on sessions, but often do for the first session(s) for young children who may be anxious. Sometimes, I do ask parents of younger children to stick around for the duration of the session so they are easily available if needed. We do have a nice waiting area at the agency I work at. I would personally not feel comfortable sending my child to a therapist (or anyone else for that matter) who is alone in a locked room with my child.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 4:21 pm
For a first session you should have been in the room for at least most of the time! Outside the house? That's insane!

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 5:33 pm
princessleah wrote:
Then I would speak to the social worker's supervisor at this organization. Does she work FOR them? Or they just refer people to her?

Thank you for your advice. I will try to forward the information. I prefer not giving any more details publicly.

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 5:54 pm
5*Mom wrote:
I cannot think of any acceptable reason for locking the door. As a parent I find that very troubling; as a 5-yr-old child I'm sure I would have found it intimidating and quite frightening. I'd find a different psychologist.

ITA.

amother

Post Sat, Jun 28 2014, 4:11 pm
Before you totally freak out, I would advise that you just take a deep breath and evaluate the situation a bit more objectively.

I send my ten-year-old son to a female therapist who works in an office where the door is of an unusual variety and if it is not locked, it swings open. Therefore, the therapist does lock the door only in order that it stays shut. I did discuss this with her and with my son and with my rav (in terms of yichud) and I am comfortable that my son is not in any danger and I am not being "locked out" of therapy. If anything, my son has a good feeling that he is entitled to privacy, which was especially important in the beginning of therapy when he had to learn to trust.

Happy18

Post Sat, Jun 28 2014, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
Before you totally freak out, I would advise that you just take a deep breath and evaluate the situation a bit more objectively.

I send my ten-year-old son to a female therapist who works in an office where the door is of an unusual variety and if it is not locked, it swings open. Therefore, the therapist does lock the door only in order that it stays shut. I did discuss this with her and with my son and with my rav (in terms of yichud) and I am comfortable that my son is not in any danger and I am not being "locked out" of therapy. If anything, my son has a good feeling that he is entitled to privacy, which was especially important in the beginning of therapy when he had to learn to trust.

I don't think thats acceptable. She should replace the door with one that stays shut when its not locked.

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Jun 28 2014, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:

this is what a doorstop is for. she doesn't actually need to lock the door.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics