Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for babysitter/gan

amother

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 2:18 am
I was just informed that my 1.5yr old's babysitting group (located in yerushalyim) is ending this coming tuesday. It was supposed to continue for another 2 weeks, but due to "personal reasons" she has to end early. (annoyed, yes.. but thats not the point right now!)

I need to buy her an end of the year gift. I must buy it this morning b/c I have work and appt's the next couple of days and so today is really my last day to go shopping.

I need suggestions for what I should buy her. she is american with a bunch of young children. im not friends with her outside of this babysitting group, so I don't know her likes and dislikes so much. I don't want to get a sefer.

I don't want to spend more than 100nis (is that reasonable?!). I'd also prefer to stay away from gift certificates b/c it shows how much you spent!

PLEASE HELP!! I thought I had another 2 weeks to figure this out.. now I have a couple of hours!

Dolly1

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 2:37 am
How about a toy for her children?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 3:06 am
good idea, but she has a wide range of ages (not that wide, but abt a yr old baby through 8 yr old)
I was thinking something for her

but thank you

Dev80

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 3:16 am
I also have to do this soon and am not sure what to get. I have done gift certificates in the past but some ideas... also I agree it's nice to get something for her and not her kids, she did the hard work the whole year!

-A nice washing cup
-Challah cover
-serving dish
-salad servers
-nice set of towels (a little funny but definitely practical!)

I would say go into a gift store in Geulah or wherever is clsoe to where you live and look around and just choose something! I always agonize over this. Hatzlacha

amother

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 3:22 am
thanks.. in this heat wave I don't know how far I can actually go!!

how much do you typically spend on an end of the year gift (and I didn't give any big gifts in the middle of the year).. just want to know if about 100nis is right/ too much/ too little

I know everyone is different and has a different budget

if I give a serving dish (or something like that), I should put food in it right?

Dev80

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 4:02 am
Yes there are so many factors! I was very very appreciative to one morah specifically b/c I really saw how she went above and beyond for my child so I did a chanukah gift (about 50), purim gift with all the mothers (50 maybe don't remember), and then b/c of that I'll probably spend 70-100 for the end of the year. It's also not such a big gan so that's a factor.
If 100 is what you can afford and what you feel comfortable giving then that's a nie amount. You don't want to stretch yourself and then be resentful ya know. Also of course it depends how many kids you have also like if you're giving three gifts so that's a lot!!

Food on the serving dish is a nice idea, maybe some nice chocolate (I may take this idea too!)

Maybe in your neighborhood some one has a gifts store so you dont have to shlep out, it is hot!!

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 7:13 am
I just end up getting gift certificates. This year I got book tokens for €15 (about $20). That's enough to buy at least one book. I often receive unwanted chatchkes and I would much much prefer a gift token for a small amount then something I don't like or already have 4 of.

On that note if you want to give the teacher a challah cover I have about ten really beautiful ones.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 7:20 am
in the past I have bought chocolates, costume jewellery (with a gift receipt), salt and pepper grinders. If you can get something from a popular store with a gift receipt that is also a nice idea, so she can always change it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics