Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Using my hair to make a wig....

chevi1

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 1:59 am
So here is the thing- I would love a new sheitel but cannot afford it at all. I've been growing out my hair; if I would cut it now really short, I would have about af 13-14 inch length pony tail. So a few questions:
has anyone used their own hair to make a sheitel? is it allowed halachically to cover my hair with that?
for the sheitel machers out there- would having the hair already significantly reduce the price of having a sheitel made? anybody know someone in israel who would make such a sheitel for me? how much hair is needed to make a sheitel that is about 4 inches below the shoulder?
tia!!!!

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 2:20 am
Why dont u sell your hair or trade it in and buy a new wig with that money? I know that there are various machlokas regarding one wearing their own hair as a wig. Why dont you ask your LOR and. Take it from there?

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 1:26 pm
Where I come from it's assur to wear as kissui rosh a sheitel made of your own hair, and I believe it takes hair from several heads to make one sheitel. But I could be wrong.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 1:40 pm
Besides the halachic issues:

Since you're making a custom wig, it will almost definitely cost more than just buying one out of the box.

Also, you will need a lot more hair than that for such a long wig, but I'm not sure exactly how much. And your own hair is not enough, they would have to buy a lot more hair to supplement the volume.

sweetpotato

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 1:46 pm
I've heard that it takes up to six ponytails to make a full sheitel.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 2:29 pm
I heard:
ok
ok if 60% tops is yours

medola

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 2:56 pm
I am also planning on having a wig made with my own hair.

I have heard that it's not a problem halachikly once the hair is separated from your head.

You need your ponytail to be 3 inches longer than the longest length of the wig. About 3 inches is lost in the knotting/making of the wig.

It typically takes 3 or so ponytails to make one wig. Depends on how thin or thick your hair is. It's going to be cheapest if you supply all of the hair, but the wig maker can supplement with similar hair if you don't provide enough.

When I was looking into it, I was quoted about $850 USD if I provided all of the hair, more $$ if I'd need her to add other hair... But I haven't shopped around so much for it yet.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 6:38 pm
Yes, Ive done it.

13 inches is too short, once the hair is combed and cleaned and shorts are sepperated you will have very little left. when I cut my hair it was 18 inches and 3.5 ounces, still well less then a shaitel. nost of the hairin your ponytail is 13 inches, most is 10, which is too short for anything but bangs.

second it will not save you a significant amount of money, yes hair is exppensive, but most of the cost is in tying itin and the foundation and pprepping the hair, combing it so tht no hairs are uppside down.

if your doing this because your hair is an unusual color, thats one thing, but to save money, topps its 200 off and, your hair needs to be longer before its even useable.

Btw, I know the hair business, I grew up in it, and worked in wigs for many years, so my information is good.

Rabbi blumenkrantz AH,ppaskened that once the hair is no longer a ppart of your head , you can use it. even if its all your hair in the wig, he considered it 100% kosher head covering.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels