Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Making Aliyah!!!!! So many questions - HOPE YOU CAN HELP
Previous  1  2

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 4:30 am
For the baby there is a forum "having a baby is Israel"

pm me for info on a homebirth is Israel

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 7:41 am
Bsha tova on the move and the baby! Great news! No better time to do it, your kids are still young enough! Kol Hakavod to you!!
I know you feel you need time to emotionally prepare, but s/t better to just jump in.
It will be VERY challenging for your 4.5 yr old to join cheder chanuka time. It is a must for him to get the Hebrew in that year because next year they fly through kriah - assuming the know alef-beis already. It's not only the language, it's the mentality. It's more aggressive. I don't know a/t about you or your child but often the oldest is more gentle and not as assertive. I know with my DS it was important that he learned just social norms that first year.
I moved here during my pregnancy. Was hard but I think would've been harder after birth.
It's a huge adjustment! A WONDERFUL adjustment and worth it, but try to think ahead rather than present. If will be hard for you to "rush" into it-yeah it may be hard. But may be harder to move here mid school year with kids who will be acting unusually difficult plus a new baby etc.
I personally based on my experience would suggest trying to pull it together and move here.
ALso the summer here can be amazing. Your kids can feel comfortable in the new house, new parks, some friends, hearing another language a whole day....it may be very beneficial.
Plus as exciting as it is for you and it is!- don't underestimate the adjustment you personally will have in running you home. Little things and totally worth it all, but can't deny won't be adjustment.
The govt offices can make you nuts, the washing machine takes 2 hours, the house gets dirtier, the ingredients are diff, not sure if you'll have a car......it is a lot.
Don't get me wrong, not trying to be negative-I live here and wouldn't give it up for a/t! But be realistic about all adjusments.
In terms of kimpiturin-in Telztone is very nice and comfortable. Pricing depends on rooms. There are the older rooms which costs less and then newere ones which are more. I forgot the pricing but a new single room I think was 750 shekel. People go there with babies that are a month old. It's just harder for mother when feels knows baby's schedule and what baby wants and to leave with nurses. But if you will be able to let go and rest up knowing that baby will be in good hands then worth it to go even if a month or more even.

Another thing I want to mention-DO NOT take it personally whatsoever! I have many sefardi friends and that's why I know this piece of information....you mentioned s/t about being sefardic-
the chareidi chadarim give a very hard time to accept sefardim in. It is so ridiculous. WE all say how my sefardi friends are better and more frum than me. It is just a ridiculous generalization due to sefardim years back when they didn't integrate (as far as I know). You just may need help. I know my cousin who married a sefardi was told to change her last name (she didn't, just sent to diff cheder), So you CAN get in, maybe not to everywhere (and who wants such cheder anyways!) but may need to work on it before and may need to find someone to make a call for you.

BEST of luck!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 9:57 am
OP HERE
Will I be covered for insurance to have my baby in Israel if I would decide to give birth in Israel?? Also- I heard there is no dental insurance in Israel??

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
OP HERE
Will I be covered for insurance to have my baby in Israel if I would decide to give birth in Israel?? Also- I heard there is no dental insurance in Israel??
All Israelis are covered to have a baby in the hospital in Israel under the medical insurance. You even get PAID to have a baby. Not a lot, but a little bonus. There is basically no dental insurance but at least one Kupat Cholim, Clalit, offers free cleaning once/year to those who have their upgraded coverage. Dental checks at the same time are free. Bite wings were 21 nis yesterday... like $6 or so?

m in Israel

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:19 am
Tamiri wrote:
All Israelis are covered to have a baby in the hospital in Israel under the medical insurance. You even get PAID to have a baby. Not a lot, but a little bonus. There is basically no dental insurance but at least one Kupat Cholim, Clalit, offers free cleaning once/year to those who have their upgraded coverage. Dental checks at the same time are free. Bite wings were 21 nis yesterday... like $6 or so?

Actually, a recent change in the sal klita means that now ALL insurances cover cleanings and checkups twice a year for children under 12 in the basic coverage (if you use the Kuppah dentist). Cleanings and checkups for children over 12 or for adults may be covered in some of the Kuppahs in the upgraded coverage, and other treatments may have reduced prices for those with the upgraded coverage.

OP, if you are an olah (and not a ktin chozer or ezrach olah) then you get free health insurance for one year after you come. After that you will need to begin paying premiums (called "mas briut") to the government in order to maintain your coverage. There are 4 different Health Funds that you pick from, and the basic coverage is determined by law and is the same for all the "kuppot". Each Kuppah also offers upgrade insurance that you buy directly from the Kuppah which cover different extras depending on the Kuppah. (BTW, you mentioned you were interested in a kimpeturin home -- many of the Kuppahs cover part of the cost as part of their extra coverage if it is your 3rd baby or later.)

Hospitals, however, are not covered by the health funds but rather by Bituach Leumi which is Israel's version of social security. You will be signing up with BL as soon as you make Aliyah in any case, in order to get Kitzvat Yeladim (child payments). You are eligible for BL as soon as you arrive as well (as long as you were not already an Israeli citizen). There should be no problem giving birth here immediately after your arrival as far as expense is concerned.

SacN

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:27 am
Just wanted to add--

I already posted that I gave birth here right after making aliyah. To answer your question, yes, everything was covered, right away. I went to the OB the week I made aliyah for a checkup. I was very happy with my birth experience here, and with the healthcare.

We have the upgraded health insurance from Meuchedet--we all get once yearly teeth cleanings/checks, kids get two, and beit hahachlama (kempeturin heim) is covered for a couple of days for your 3rd child or more.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:36 am
[quote="amother"]Bsha tova on the move and the baby! Great news! No better time to do it, your kids are still young enough! Kol Hakavod to you!!
I know you feel you need time to emotionally prepare, but s/t better to just jump in.
It will be VERY challenging for your 4.5 yr old to join cheder chanuka time. It is a must for him to get the Hebrew in that year because next year they fly through kriah - assuming the know alef-beis already. It's not only the language, it's the mentality. It's more aggressive. I don't know a/t about you or your child but often the oldest is more gentle and not as assertive. I know with my DS it was important that he learned just social norms that first year.
I moved here during my pregnancy. Was hard but I think would've been harder after birth.
It's a huge adjustment! A WONDERFUL adjustment and worth it, but try to think ahead rather than present. If will be hard for you to "rush" into it-yeah it may be hard. But may be harder to move here mid school year with kids who will be acting unusually difficult plus a new baby etc.
I personally based on my experience would suggest trying to pull it together and move here.
ALso the summer here can be amazing. Your kids can feel comfortable in the new house, new parks, some friends, hearing another language a whole day....it may be very beneficial.
Plus as exciting as it is for you and it is!- don't underestimate the adjustment you personally will have in running you home. Little things and totally worth it all, but can't deny won't be adjustment.
The govt offices can make you nuts, the washing machine takes 2 hours, the house gets dirtier, the ingredients are diff, not sure if you'll have a car......it is a lot.
Don't get me wrong, not trying to be negative-I live here and wouldn't give it up for a/t! But be realistic about all adjusments.
In terms of kimpiturin-in Telztone is very nice and comfortable. Pricing depends on rooms. There are the older rooms which costs less and then newere ones which are more. I forgot the pricing but a new single room I think was 750 shekel. People go there with babies that are a month old. It's just harder for mother when feels knows baby's schedule and what baby wants and to leave with nurses. But if you will be able to let go and rest up knowing that baby will be in good hands then worth it to go even if a month or more even.

Another thing I want to mention-DO NOT take it personally whatsoever! I have many sefardi friends and that's why I know this piece of information....you mentioned s/t about being sefardic-
the chareidi chadarim give a very hard time to accept sefardim in. It is so ridiculous. WE all say how my sefardi friends are better and more frum than me. It is just a ridiculous generalization due to sefardim years back when they didn't integrate (as far as I know). You just may need help. I know my cousin who married a sefardi was told to change her last name (she didn't, just sent to diff cheder), So you CAN get in, maybe not to everywhere (and who wants such cheder anyways!) but may need to work on it before and may need to find someone to make a call for you.

BEST of luck![/quote]

OP HERE -

You are totally right!! Happens to be my oldest is more assertive but sensitive to change so I am a little worried. I really do want him to adjusted to the culture and change. That is why I was so confused. I am starting to think maybe would be better to go before I have the baby but I feel like I'm rushing into it. I can just imagine myself all depressed bc I WILL miss home. As much as I love Israeli and I really want to go. I feel like if I push myself I might regret it? I might just ask myself WHY IN THE WORLD DID I RUSH?? ANother issue is NBN is telling is it will take a few months to process my kids documentation bc my husband is tech Israeli (making my kids Israeli). DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS??

In addition my husband who has a green card just applied for citizenship so that we can travel freely from the Israel back to the states when needed. CAN ANYONE OFFER any advice or information to this aspect?? still needs to take the written test and show up for an interview the process can take a few months.

Also - I am aware of the whole sephardi situation and it's so disgusting that it still happens to people. I am prepared for this issue. My husband is in no way a push over and he does not care if people who do not have enough yiras shamayim act they way they do...we will manage. Thank you so much for your help and advice. It is very comforting... Where do you live?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:47 am
Wow totally thank you for all this info!!!

So - what if anyone in the family needs a cavity filled or g-d forbid a root canal? You have to pay out of pocket? How much is that??

I just think about having my baby in my hospital here. Its a stunning gorgeous one. We get our own room and my husband can stay with me over night...excellent service. I'm totally afraid to have like a nightmare experience where the nurses don't tend to me. I'm really not like a spoiled brat type but after having a baby I can be a little needy......

Im still like dying for info on a lift?! does anyone know of anything?? I appreciate alll of you for helping me. Im sending you all a million hugssss
Hooray Hooray Hooray Hooray Hooray Hooray Hooray Hooray Hooray Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug

m in Israel

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:54 am
First of all, if your husband is technically Israeli, so are your kids. You will need to get them Israeli passports from the Israeli embassy before you come. I don't know anything about the green card process in the U.S., but as far as Aliyah in your situation is concerned, we had the same thing -- I was an Olah but my husband was Israeli. You will have to find out what his status is. My husband was a Ktin Chozer, which basically means his family left Israel when he was under 14 (he was actually 2 years old) and neither he nor his parents have lived their since. (We had to bring all sorts of documentation to prove this). My kids were considered "ezrachim olim" -- citizens making Aliyah, since they had never lived in Israel at all. There are some differences in terms of paperwork and benefits (one of which is that your husband and kids will not get that first year of free health insurance, they will have to begin paying the mas briut right away), but NBN should be able to walk you through most of it. If your husband was already over 14 when he left Israel the situation is more complex, especially with regard to Bituach Leumi and health insurance -- he may actually have a waiting period before he can join (although I believe your kids would be on right away in any case). NBN or the Jewish Agency should be able to help you sort it out. It is quite a bit more paperwork (for example we had to list every time my husband visited Israel since he turned 14 -- with exact dates and copies of all his old passports. We had to get school transcripts to prove he was in school here, and letters from yeshivos and employers to show that he still lived here after school).

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:00 am
When filling out the forms change a letter or 2 of the last name to sound more Ashkenazi. It's worth it to get into chedarim and yeshivot

Our friends did this.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 5:30 pm
I live in the Sanhedria area. Some advice and answers to your questions:

1) Sanhedria and Sanhedria Murchevet are 2 different neighborhoods right near each other. They are also right near Ramat Eshkol and Maalot Dafna.
2) Did you look into rental prices? They're pretty high in that area (think $1600 a month for a 3-bedroom.)
3) When choosing insurance, find out what's convenient for the area you live in. Meuhedet is the most convenient for the Sanhedria area since there is a clinic and a pharmacy nearby.
4) At 4.5 your son is expected to be very comfortable in Hebrew. Get him a tutor now and hold him back a school year, when you get here.
5) I agree with the previous posters about the Sefardi issue. I have a friend who moved back to America because she didn't want her kids to be discriminated against. I have another friend who changed her last name to sound more Ashkenazi. The schools have a quota of sefardim that they accept each year and once they complete their quota, they won't accept any more. Don't try to get your son accepted in the middle of the school year. If you hold him back and send to gan instead of cheder, it might be easier.
6) Dentists - kids are covered up to age 12. Adults pay privately. The Luba Slome clinic on Bar Ilan is partially subsidized and has excellent dentists. (phone: 02-500-0316)

Hatzlacha!

bigdreamer

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 8:55 pm
amother wrote:
I live in the Sanhedria area. Some advice and answers to your questions:

1) Sanhedria and Sanhedria Murchevet are 2 different neighborhoods right near each other. They are also right near Ramat Eshkol and Maalot Dafna.
2) Did you look into rental prices? They're pretty high in that area (think $1600 a month for a 3-bedroom.)
3) When choosing insurance, find out what's convenient for the area you live in. Meuhedet is the most convenient for the Sanhedria area since there is a clinic and a pharmacy nearby.
4) At 4.5 your son is expected to be very comfortable in Hebrew. Get him a tutor now and hold him back a school year, when you get here.
5) I agree with the previous posters about the Sefardi issue. I have a friend who moved back to America because she didn't want her kids to be discriminated against. I have another friend who changed her last name to sound more Ashkenazi. The schools have a quota of sefardim that they accept each year and once they complete their quota, they won't accept any more. Don't try to get your son accepted in the middle of the school year. If you hold him back and send to gan instead of cheder, it might be easier.
6) Dentists - kids are covered up to age 12. Adults pay privately. The Luba Slome clinic on Bar Ilan is partially subsidized and has excellent dentists. (phone: 02-500-0316)

Hatzlacha!

Thanks so much for the info. I know myself and as much as I want to rush I dont want to regret doing so either.....my son will be 5 in Elul. Is that too old for gan age already??

bigdreamer

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 8:59 pm
Can anyone recommend an amazing gan for 5 year olds (kindergarten) in the Sanhedria area??

Liebs

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 3:18 am
bigdreamer wrote:
Can anyone recommend an amazing gan for 5 year olds (kindergarten) in the Sanhedria area??

That is already cheder age.
Def. don't send to gan anymore.
At age 5 learn kriah here.
age 8 already mishnayos.
you want to get him as earliest start as possible on Hebrew.

Dentists are cheaper in Israel.
Meuchedet covers almost e/t for kids. maybe you need to pay like $20

I loved having babies here. Yes not as spoiled as America (I never gave birth there) but it is nice.

Can you come without making Aliyah? Maybe it will make things simpler and then once here can make Aliyah within 3 years I think you have. This way won't regret any decisions because can always back out.

bigdreamer

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 8:02 am
the thing is is that my son is an immature 5. Although he would technically be going into PRE1A which is after Kindergarten and before 1st grade here...his teachers have recommended him to be placed in Kindergarten again with an older class instead of being the youngest in a pre 1 a class.

He also has some OT issue while minor which exacerbate the whole thing such as being impulsive and has a lack of body awareness. Just make him appear to be a little less mature....We think for his confidence it would be great for him to be a leader in a class vs trying to keep up with everyone else. We have consulted with many professionals and educational experts and this seems to be the best choice.

So - I think I would send him to either gan for the oldest age?? Which is??? 4 or 5? OR send him to cheder and have him repeat the grade the following year?

Sanguine

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 9:18 am
bigdreamer wrote:
the thing is is that my son is an immature 5. Although he would technically be going into PRE1A which is after Kindergarten and before 1st grade here...his teachers have recommended him to be placed in Kindergarten again with an older class instead of being the youngest in a pre 1 a class.

He also has some OT issue while minor which exacerbate the whole thing such as being impulsive and has a lack of body awareness. Just make him appear to be a little less mature....We think for his confidence it would be great for him to be a leader in a class vs trying to keep up with everyone else. We have consulted with many professionals and educational experts and this seems to be the best choice.

So - I think I would send him to either gan for the oldest age?? Which is??? 4 or 5? OR send him to cheder and have him repeat the grade the following year?

You're so smart. send him to gan for another year. It's not even a question. The professionals and his mother said it.

luvinlife

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 10:29 am
so maybe put him in cheder but a yr back. not Pre 1 A but where he would have been this yr. He will be like all the rest of the kids in class learning hebrew for the first time..if he goes to that cheder with americans.

bigdreamer

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 5:15 pm
Sanguine wrote:
You're so smart. send him to gan for another year. It's not even a question. The professionals and his mother said it.

THANK YOU!!! This definitely eases my mind the fact that this whole thing clicked in my head. I do't feel so terrible about him going into gan in the middle of the year...vs real school.

Although I know it will be harder to pull ourselves together to leave by end of August....I'm not sure yer what will happen but we are just following all procedure as quickly as possible whatever ends up to be will be....

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 5:51 am
I'm planning to make Aliyah with my 11yo DD, and I will definitely be holding her back a year. We already found a great school for her, and the administration agreed that she would do really well repeating 5th grade. DD is very young for her age, and very petite as well (she was the shortest kid in her class last year, most kids towered a full head over her.)

I have a friend who made Aliyah to Beitar Elit with 6 kids, ranging from 4 to 12. All kids are perfectly fluent in Hebrew now, and most are at the top of their classes. The first year was a bit rough, but now they're incredibly happy and would do it all over again. If Sanhedria is too pricey for you, do keep Beitar in mind. They have excellent kollels, and a very warm and friendly community. PM me if you want my friend's contact info.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 6:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
DD is very young for her age

Explain! - You can be short for your age, or smart for your age or mature for your age, But how can you be young for your age?? LOL LOL
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions