Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I'm a MO man and in a dire state. Can you help me?
Previous  1  2  3

marina

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:57 pm
Ok, whatever - you want me to accept that b'derech is a good fit for me? Even though it says nothing about college or jobs or housing. Fine. Let's pretend b'derech works for me. That makes maybe 2 organizations for all chareidi men.

My point still stands.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
Actually, you were given the name of a great organization B'derech. You haven't called them to inquire what they offer, only dismissed them based on their website. Interesting, because when a poster suggested walking into B&H for yiddishe computer assistance, you replied you don't own a computer. Then how would your fictional character have access to the B'derech website and even understand what the not-simple-english vernacular website writes? I was confused. Too bad the thread was locked and couldn't clarify.

Marina wrote:

In the end I have one or two organizations.

You owe Marina an apology. In your own name.

But you won't give it. Because Marina's sole goal was to point out that Footsteps is a valuable organization that is meeting a need that is not generally being met in the Charedi community.

Your goal, however, is to attack your fellow Jews. Yeah. People like you make me feel REEEEEAAAAAAAAL good about Charedim.

marina

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:59 pm
And I demand that the title of this thread be changed to :

I'm an MO man and in a dire state: can you help me, by Amother

Smile

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:00 pm
marina wrote:
1. I am showing you how a chareidi bachur from KJ would react, not knowing anything about B'derech. The other organization, the agudah one- at least even if I'd never heard of it but someone pointed me to it, I would see that their website is somewhat relevant- it talks about jobs! It looks like it might be for me!

B'derech, in contrast, HAS NOTHING RELEVANT ON ITS WEBSITE. Why on earth would I call a woman who runs an organization that has nothing relevant for me that I can see on its site? Really, would you do that? You would do that only if your friend recommended B'derech. But I'm a chareidi bachur and I don't have any friends who have ever done this and all my friends think I'm nuts.

2. My character doesn't have a computer to download yiddish on to (what would be the point anyway?) but I can maybe access one in the library.
You'd own a cell phone. You'd call them, and then come back to us here on imamother and report your experience. By the way you portrayed that bochur and his level of english literacy, I highly doubt he'd understand the agudah website either. He'd most likely need a PERSON to consult with, not a site.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:
This is what the other thread was all about. Every offer was countered with excuses.

Why should a grown, able-bodied,healthy man, born and raised in New York need an organization to help him learn english, go to college, get a job, etc? Do you have any idea how humiliating that is? And you excuse it by saying that people in his community do chesed and therefore there is no need for him to get a real education from the get go? Im appalled at this kind of thinking/rational.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:04 pm
Barbara wrote:
You owe Marina an apology. In your own name.

But you won't give it. Because Marina's sole goal was to point out that Footsteps is a valuable organization that is meeting a need that is not generally being met in the Charedi community.

Your goal, however, is to attack your fellow Jews. Yeah. People like you make me feel REEEEEAAAAAAAAL good about Charedim.

Ha, I doubt there's ANYTHING ANYONE here on imamother or in the real world that can change the outlook some MO have towards chareidim. My thread wouldn't rock the boat in any way!

marina

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:05 pm
amother wrote:
You'd own a cell phone. You'd call them, and then come back to us here on imamother and report your experience. By the way you portrayed that bochur and his level of english literacy, I highly doubt he'd understand the agudah website either. He'd most likely need a PERSON to consult with, not a site.

Look, if you are doubting my portrayal of that chareidi bochur, if you doubt that he exists- I linked to interviews with those people. Real people ( now successful in their fields) that one imamother poster called morons and "retarts." So really- if you don't think they exist go listen to those interviews.

Yes, of course, he'd need a person to consult with. No question there. Someone would have to direct him to an organization and he would have to call and talk to someone in his native tongue and it would work best if the organization could meet all his needs or at least most of them.

Last edited by marina on Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sanguine

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:05 pm
deleted

Last edited by Sanguine on Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

marina

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:06 pm
Barbara, I think your thread was reported because you used the F-word. In the future, maybe say handprints or something.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:07 pm
Sanguine wrote:
I'm lost about what is going on here. I didn't read Marina's chareidi Bochur thread so maybe that's why I don't understand this thread.

Definitely

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
Why should a grown, able-bodied,healthy man, born and raised in New York need an organization to help him learn english, go to college, get a job, etc? Do you have any idea how humiliating that is? And you excuse it by saying that people in his community do chesed and therefore there is no need for him to get a real education from the get go? Im appalled at this kind of thinking/rational.

The chessed thing was used only as a counter thread, nothing to do with the situation at hand.

Any person leaving their way of life behind needs help integrating into their new life, whether it be converts, BT's, Americans making aliyah or the reverse. The point was the idolizing of Footsteps, which chareidim claim is a vehicle to OTD. So some posters were making other suggestions which were met with contradicting excuses.

marina

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:11 pm
no idolizing anything. That thread started with a person asking if the group was evil and how come we are not all up in arms about it. I responded with more information about what it does. Others said there are many groups that already meet those needs.

Broken record here.

happybeingamom

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:11 pm
Let us continue the bashing, we should just keep on fighting while three boys are in captivity.

Achdus is what we need now, not fictional characters that are so stereotyped that they can't be believable.

I am disgusted to tell you the truth with these two threads. There is no respect for one another.

I am better then you Na na na na!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics