Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Professional Day Camp?

busymother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 1:50 pm
Hi, I sent my 6 year old to a professional day camp this summer, in the BY building, the real expensive camp... anyway, I'm kinda mad because they have a hotline, and the counselors told her to make sure to listen tonight, so all night we called and it was not updated. In the morning I didn't even think of calling, just the mad rush to get everyone out the door and at the bus stop the kids said we needed baby stuff. The poor girl ran back in and found some baby toys, but I'm just wondering, when do "normal" camps let kids/parents know when to bring in specialty items? I remember a few years back when my older daughter went to this same camp we called the hotline in the morning, and that's when we found out it was hat day/tie day/crazy hair day etc... Shouldn't we get a little more notice or is this normal??? I'm so frustrated by their lack of consideration for our time!

mandr

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 1:58 pm
Agreed. How about letting the camp know your thoughts?

busymother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 2:47 pm
I am going to let them know, just wanted to know the norm... when does iyour camp let you know these stuff?

busymother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 2:48 pm
I am going to let them know, just wanted to know the norm... when does iyour camp let you know these stuff?

mandr

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 2:57 pm
My baby is too young for camp. But when I was a counselor in a camp, they sent home a note with the kid the day before. So technically the parents found out once the kid came home so they had that afternoon/night to prepare.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:06 pm
I receive a note home with my son usually the day before. Really rarely (make that once or twice) two days before.

morah

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:15 pm
My son's camp states in the Friday newsletter they send home what will be in the coming week. And then they remind us the day before (if it's later in the week).

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:43 pm
morah wrote:
My son's camp states in the Friday newsletter they send home what will be in the coming week. And then they remind us the day before (if it's later in the week).

THIS is the way it should be IMO! Why the need to listen to a hotline? Why can't we just do things the old fashion way?

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 4:37 pm
One of the camps I worked at sent out the calendar a month before the summer and included all these things.

Other places have sent it home with the Friday newsletter.

tropicalrainforest

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 4:52 pm
Busy mother , the camp usually updates the hotline in the early evening . This was a one time aberration and is being addressed by the director. I understand your frustration . The idea behind the hotline is to keep things exciting . The girls anticipation of all the things to come is part of the overall camp experience . This camp IS NOT ideal for kids who need a set schedule , structure and advance planning . It is simply not set up for that type of child . It's great for kids who get bored easily and enjoy the element of surprise . My kids love the diverse activities , field trips , ruach and the exciting anticipation of what's to come. Hope your summer camp experience gets better .

amother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 7:13 pm
I manage a daycamp. I send out texts in the evening if the kids need to bring something the next day.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 8:09 pm
amother wrote:
I manage a daycamp. I send out texts in the evening if the kids need to bring something the next day.
And what happens if it is orange juice or red balloons or anything else a mother doesnt have lying around her house ? I think it is mean to the kids who wont be able to bring it in not to mention unecessary stress to try get the item M

sky

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 8:12 pm
I think the hotline is the 'hotest' camp feature. My boys (second half) camp does it. I don't know that they said to bring in stuff, it was more building the excitement for the next day activity.
For a child that is 6 I do think it would be better to have a note (although my 6 year old loved calling the hotline)

busymother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 8:49 pm
I don't mind a hotline to bild excitement but don't tell me at 7pm that tomorrow is hat day and we need to make creative hats or pull out the purim box! I dont appreciate the pressure! IMHO I think friday newspaper would be perfect and hotline is great to build on the excitement.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 9:35 pm
DH runs a camp. He sends out the entire calendar of every single day, detailing if anything special is needed, before the summer begins.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children