Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
He's gonna be PEEVED- help me stay strong

morah

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 2:41 pm
My 3 year old is coming home from camp in an hour. I know he's going to want to ride his bike to the park and then ride around for awhile. It is 92 degrees outside and just thinking about it is giving me palpitations. I don't want to be out there, I don't want the baby out there, I don't want to fumble with a nursing cover when he inevitably needs to nurse due to the heat. I don't want to have to chase after the 3 year old with his water bottle. I just want to stay inside in the air conditioning. But ds is going to pitch a fit and I'm going to have to drag him inside. And he's going to kick and scream for a least 20 minutes. But no way am I spending time outside- not today! Help me stay strong through the inevitable tantrum....

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 2:48 pm
Beat him to the punch, think of an amazing indoor activity now, and when he comes home, tell him all excited about how you're going to

*play in the tub with swim trunks and beach toys
*build a fort under the table where he can eat a snack
*insert your idea here

suzyq

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 2:55 pm
Can you take him to any kind of indoor place to play?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 2:58 pm
I agree with gp... Go for some sort of super special activity you don't usually do, like baking cookies.

sky

Sorry that my ideas include food:
Have an ice cream party in the house.
go out for slurpees (drive if you have a car).
Bake or make pizza together.
Do you have a covered porch, or any porch. Can you give him a bucket of water and a paint brush and have him paint the porch or side of house, while you sit watching him with the baby right inside the door.

morah

I like those ideas! I actually do have some stuff planned, but he's still going to tantrum for a bit before we do our activities. He's going to say "I don't waaaant to XYZ, I waaaaana ride my bike!"

penguin

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 3:02 pm
Is there room to ride his bike in the liv rm or basement?
Does it cool off where you live toward the evening or early morning? Can you offer him that he can ride his bike then?

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 3:08 pm
Get the bathtub ready..chances are, he'll come home all sweaty.

A long time ago, I read in some parenting magazine--some mother wrote her best advice for cranky kids is water play--totally gets all kids to be happier, etc. (don't totally know if it's true across the board but worked for my kids when they were toddlers. Put some special toys near the tub and get him in right away.

morah

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 3:12 pm
We are in an attached house- no backyard, a little deck in the back that does not have room for bike riding, and not a particularly spacious basement. It's not supposed to get cooler this evening- just more nasty humidity. I could promise him that abba will take him out later- though it will be close to bedtime and thus a quick ride around the block. Hoping he'll go for red white and blue cupcake making in the interim...

sequoia

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 3:59 pm
Are you in NY? The thermometer says 32C but there's a nice breeze. You sure you can't go out for a bit?

penguin

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 10:25 pm
Morah, please report back! I've been worrying about you and your DS!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers