Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Sheva Brachos - Expected Invitees?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 11:18 am
What is the proper protocol on who from the Choson & Kallah's fanily you should be expected to invite to a Sheva Brachos? Parents? Grandparents? Siblings - married and Singles? Nieces, and Nephews?

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 11:22 am
There is no protocol. It really depends on the "style" of a sheva brochos.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 12:22 pm
We usually get requests as to which family members are expecting to attend or be invited. At minimum, chatan, kallah, usually both sets of parents, plus single siblings and whichever married siblings are in the area/ staying locally, with or without children. We did once have to invite 20 extra members of the chatan's family who had flown halfway round the world for the chatuna and therefore attended every sheva brachot, but it was unusual.

If you're planning something small, then I guess just the couple, maybe parents. Or just the couple if it is hosted by their friends.

When any of my siblings get married, dh and I usually attend 3 or 4 sb nights plus shabbos, depending on who is hosting, but they tend to be v large events rather than small and intimate, and family rather than friend based.

bookworm10

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 12:35 pm
I think no matter what the parents of both chosson and Kallah should be invited, and possibly all siblings.

I attended all of my sisters sheva brachos. My IL only attended like 1 of my sheva brachos when I got married, and I remember feeling a little insulted at the time. (They only wanted to go to restaurants, none in my relatives houses)

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 2:37 pm
It depends on the size of the family and how close they are to each other.

Most people invite the parents of the bride and groom to all sheva brachot. Some grandparents are the type that would be insulted if they weren't invited, while others love being "off the hook" for that evening.

If bride or groom has 1 or few siblings, you might want to invite them, if they're one of 15 kids, you might not want to invite them all. Same goes for cousins and other extended family.

The one exception is Shabbat sheva brachot. Everybody (at least everybody I know) invites all extended family to Shabbat sheva brachot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics