Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Sternberg Kokosh Cake
Previous  1  2

sky

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 6:16 pm
I also worked in the dinging room/kitchen in Sternberg. It wasn't made in the kitchen, they brought it in from somewhere, but I don't remember where.
It was really good.

newmother

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 8:28 pm
Just seeing this thread reminded me of all my camp memories! As far as the cake- to the best of my knowledge it is made in magen av.

elf123

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 10:20 pm
Okay, I must confess that I never went to Sternberg, but who doesn't love a good kokosh? So I got to work and they are in the oven now, I am challishing to have some. I want to say that the dough is an absolute pleasure to work with (and I used only oil and kneaded by hand), especially considering that I've never made kokosh before and basically except for "guesstimating" based on what it looks like when it's baked, I had absolutely no idea how to shape/roll it. I still don't know if I did it right, I would like if you could be a bit more specific for us novices. Also, can you be a bit more specific about what you were saying about making rugelach about some of the dough? Do you freeze it raw, or were you just saying that you like to make some of it into rugelach so you can defrost/serve a few at a time instead of a whole loaf? And how do you shape the rugelach, you said something about strips but I wasn't clear on that. Also, since this makes a lot (and I halved the recipe) I assume it freezes well? Thanks again and sorry for all the questions....

OldYoung

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 10:23 pm
Yum! Yes, the recipe would have been nice- someone here must have it! And I highly doubt it's in any of Grandma's cookbooks...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 10:43 pm
sugarplum wrote:
what does 4 pckgs vanilla sugar mean do ypu mean 4 tsp?
4 Tbsp

myfriends715

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:09 pm
aww man I miss sternberg!!!!!

almost

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 1:10 pm
I think that it might depend on when you were in Camp Sternberg. I was there in the mid-80s and I am almost positive that it was made in Sternberg (at least for the Heller girls) and I'm almost positive that my mother has the recipe for it in Mrs. Greenblatt's (Grandma's) cookbook. I'll try to remember to ask for it. Btw, it WAS excellent!

newmom

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 2:22 pm
I worked in the kitchen for more than one summer. Those who went way back until the late 90s had the ooey gooey yummy Greens. Later on it was brought in from Magen Av. It was never baked on site.
Hey all you former HOKAs POKAs SOKAs!

(the cake was way worth the calories!)

manhattanmom

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 2:26 pm
Love the Sternberg reminiscing!
I thought the recipe was in one of Grandma's cookbooks--or at least the one she made for Heller. I can't imagine all of it coming from the Sternberg kitchen!

manhattanmom

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 2:27 pm
newmom wrote:

Hey all you former HOKAs POKAs SOKAs!

Right back at ya'!

Very Happy Very Happy

LULA

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 2:36 pm
I went to Sternberg for many years 5+--Yum Yum. I totally forgot about it.

Right now in my life kids are little babies and I work an 9-5 office job....sleep away camp is really far from my mind!! IYH in a couple of years--we'll reopen the parsha for out kids.

TeachersNotebook

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 8:32 pm
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to clarify the confusion with Grandma's kokosh cake. Grandma made a really amazing yeast cake during her cooking activity. You would make the dough, then let it rise for the next group of girls. In the meantime, you'd use the last group's dough to fill and shape your own rugelach and cake. It came out amazing. I am always on the hunt for that recipe. It should be in Grandma's cookbook. Do any of you have it?

The kokosh cake on Shabbos morning from the kitchens was something different. I never worked in the kitchen, so I don't know where it came from, but it wasn't Grandma's.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins