Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Salty kugel (as in not sweet kugel?)

busydev

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:39 pm
I offered to make a kugel for a new mother for shabbos (as well as other things) and was told to make a salty kugel since someone else is making a sweet one.

what kugel would you make? luktion? I wouldnt call it salty....

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:43 pm
I would just do anything not sweet. Potato kugel, salt and pepper lukshen kugel, mushroom kugel, onion kugel, broccoli or spinach kugel...

I would avoid sweet potato, sweet lukshen, zuchinni, carrot, and apple kugels...

Tizki lmitzvos!

ima_dina084

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:46 pm
Its ussally called savory not salty
Zucchini kugel would work

busydev

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:56 pm
wow ive never made most of those kugels. made sweet luktion, apple, carrot. im not big on those other vegetables... well except broccoli but dh wont touch it, so ive never made any of them. anyone have tried/true recipes? ones that you cant mess up? and that are fairly healthy (no onion soup mix etc)?
thanks!!

SS6099

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:57 pm
Lukshen kugel:

1 bag thin egg noodles, cooked
5 eggs
1 c oil
salt/pepper
Bake an hour
yum....

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:01 pm
onion noodle kugel:

1 huge spanish onion, or 2 regular sized onions, sauteed in 1/4 - 1/3 cup oil
Cook 1 bag egg noodles (the flat kind)
Mix the noodles with the onions and the oil that you fried them in.
Add 3 eggs and lots of salt.
Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan
Bake on 375 for 50 minutes

Volunteer

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:27 pm
There's a Persian version of kugel called kuku, which is often made with cauliflower, eggplant, or spinach. Here's a master recipe that you can vary:

Kuku

2 large eggplants,
or 2 pounds of cauliflower,
or 1 pound of frozen spinach plus one bunch each of green onions + dill + parsley

2 Tbs oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves
4 eggs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional for cauliflower or eggplant kuku)
4 Tbs lime or lemon juice (about 2 limes/lemons)
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbs flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

1. For eggplant kuku: Slice the eggplants, and stir in about half the salt, and half the oil. Broil the eggplants on a large baking sheet in a 450 oven until soft and a little brown.
For cauliflower kuku: Steam, or microwave the cauliflower until tender.

2. Saute the onions in oil until soft and a little brown. Add in the eggplant, cauliflower, or spinach and herb mix. Add in the garlic. Continue sauteeing until everything is cooked together and tender. Set aside to cool.

3. Pour the vegetables, eggs, and all the other ingredients in a food processor, and puree it all together until combined into a batter. It does not need to be completely smooth. You may want to process it in batches if your food processor can't accommodate it all at once.

4. Preheat the oven to 350. Grease an 8 - 9 inch square baking pan, and pour the batter into it. Bake at 350 for 50-60 min, until it is cooked all the way through.

Volunteer

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:36 pm
Here is a spinach noodle kugel:

half of one 12 oz bag of medium or wide egg noodles
1 medium onion, sliced thin or grated
10-16 oz frozen spinach
3 eggs
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
2 Tbs oil
1/4 cup of soy milk

1. Cook the noodles in boiling water, undercook by 1 minute. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Preheat the oven to 375. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan.
2. Saute the onion and the spinach until soft and cooked, and most of the water is evaporated. Pour into the bowl of noodles.
3. Stir in the eggs, seasonings, oil, and soy milk.
4. Pour it into the baking pan. You can cover and chill this in the pan in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or overnight, if you want to make it ahead. Bake for 45-60 min, until it is firm and brown on top.

Volunteer

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:39 pm
Another idea: You can stir other cooked grated or diced vegetables into you favorite potato kugel recipe. You can use mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, cauliflower, peas, etc

queenofhearts515

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:41 pm
I know some of mine will overlap with what people said, but my "salty kugels" include: potato, mashed potato, zucchini (the one from here- if you want I can pull up the link), onion in dough (also from here), sauteed onion, challah kugel (I found a nonsweet one on here, too), stuffing, and vegetable kugel. Let me know if any of those ideas sound good and I can give you the recipes. Good luck!

busydev

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 12:27 pm
Thanks!!

So I never made potato kugel as I dont like it.
Technically I dont have to make for me too (can just make a pan and send) but potato kugel is kind of complicated from what I have seen. I wouldnt want to send it to someone my first time making it. (which by the way is for next shabbos not this one)

is the mashed potato kugel easier then a regular potato kugel?
Otherwise I wouldnt mind the recipe for the vegetable kugel or the zucchini kugel. (would either kugel do well as muffins?- not for her but if the recipe makes more then a 8x8 size I can freeze the rest for DS who has eaten those kugels in the past, or for guests)

Thanks again!

nyer1

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 6:18 pm
Savory kugel . Not salty

Potato, yerushalmi, broccoli, carrot and zucchini
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes