Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Isn't life after weight loss surgery a life of dieting??????

amother

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 5:27 pm
I am looking into weight loss surgery since I ve been struggling with being overweight and obese for over 10 years.

Why do pple do the surgery?

If I am not sticking to a diet now, what would guarantee that I would stick to a diet after surgery? What gives?

What does the surgery actually help with?

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 5:29 pm
it forces you to stop eating. nothing like heartburn and throwing up to make a person eat less.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 5:35 pm
I had surgery. I don't throw up and I don't have heartburn.
I also don't diet. I have put some weight back on. I started exercising again, so I hope that helps me take off what I put on. I simply cannot diet. (will not).
Some people are very, very, very careful about what they eat and they manage to lose alot and keep it off. I'd like to see some of them after a few years because I don't know how people manage to maintain such a strict lifestyle for so long.

In any event, the surgery gives you a jump start. You take off a nice amount of weight and that is also motivation to keep doing the right things.

Ima2

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 3:11 pm
as far as I know, gastric bypass (if that's what you are talking about) or better known as the stomach staple, makes the size of your stomach so small that you can't eat too much b/c you feel so full after eating a small amount. the stomach does stretch a bit so eventually you can eat as much as a normal person, but the danger is that you can also stretch it out over time to the same size as it was before. I know someone that that happened to. I''m right there with you, dieting is really tough and doesn't always feel worth it. but one doesn't have to diet forever, just not over eat and eat the right kinds of food.

chani8

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 3:30 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
I had surgery. I don't throw up and I don't have heartburn.
I also don't diet. I have put some weight back on. I started exercising again, so I hope that helps me take off what I put on. I simply cannot diet. (will not).
Some people are very, very, very careful about what they eat and they manage to lose alot and keep it off. I'd like to see some of them after a few years because I don't know how people manage to maintain such a strict lifestyle for so long.

In any event, the surgery gives you a jump start. You take off a nice amount of weight and that is also motivation to keep doing the right things.

A person who was overweight for most of their adulthood, will have to "diet" for the rest of their life if they want to maintain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

Why are you making dieting sound so terrible? It's really not so bad to watch what you eat. Counting calories with all the apps they have today, is actually fun, and has become as social as facebook.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 5:12 pm
Ima2 wrote:
as far as I know, gastric bypass (if that's what you are talking about) or better known as the stomach staple, makes the size of your stomach so small that you can't eat too much b/c you feel so full after eating a small amount. the stomach does stretch a bit so eventually you can eat as much as a normal person, but the danger is that you can also stretch it out over time to the same size as it was before. I know someone that that happened to. I''m right there with you, dieting is really tough and doesn't always feel worth it. but one doesn't have to diet forever, just not over eat and eat the right kinds of food.

Gastric bypass is not a "stomach staple".
There is the "sleeve" which is the most common surgery today, where they take out a piece ofthe stomach and leave a banana shaped "sleeve" which limits the amount of food you can eat.
Gastric bypass is when they rewire your intestines. Completely different procedure.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:39 pm
I struggled with my weight for 14 yrs and have found unbelievable change in working the 12 steps of overeaters anonymous. Not trying to sound smart, just an idea that you may want to explore if you haven't yet.

allrgymama

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:53 pm
Ideally, WLS makes it physically impossible for you to eat more than a certain amount of food at a sitting.

With the Band, you will vomit if you eat too much. With the Sleeve, you simply feel full and so stop eating.

There are ways around it, but most people are successful.

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 11:50 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
Gastric bypass is not a "stomach staple".
There is the "sleeve" which is the most common surgery today, where they take out a piece ofthe stomach and leave a banana shaped "sleeve" which limits the amount of food you can eat.
Gastric bypass is when they rewire your intestines. Completely different procedure.

Lordy, Thank you ChossidMom for explaining!!!

I am 4 years post op Gastric bypass. I am maintaining a weight loss of 140 pounds. I do not "diet" either.
I listen to my body and have learned over the years what works for me.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 12:53 am
amother wrote:
I am looking into weight loss surgery since I ve been struggling with being overweight and obese for over 10 years.

Why do pple do the surgery?

If I am not sticking to a diet now, what would guarantee that I would stick to a diet after surgery? What gives?

What does the surgery actually help with?

A close relative of mine had bariatric surgery (sleeve) four and a half years ago. The reason they chose surgery was because they didn't wan't to think about what they are eating all day long and essentially diet for life.

This relative lost a huge amount of weight and went from being morbidly obese to borderline underweight, and now is more of a balanced weight, and would be considered thin, by anyone who never knew about the surgery.

The thing is that this relative can eat basically everything (but lettuce and matza - and even that is ok for seder) just in smaller portions. I understand that not everyone has such a dramatic weight loss, but still I knew a few people who have done it and they all feel and look so much better. This relative is so much healthier now and so happy about their decision to go through with it. The most important thing to this relative is that there is no longer a feeling of constant hunger.

If you want any more details, please feel free to PM me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise