Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
IF YOU MADE ALIYAH IN 3 MONTHS OR LESS
Previous  1  2

Are you happy you made a quick aliyah
YES!! Definitely  
 55%  [ 11 ]
NO. It was a disaster  
 45%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 20

bigdreamer

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 8:16 pm
NO if he leaves the US for more than a year he risks losing his residency. Which means he will have to find another way to get into the country such as a visa...which I understand gives you a bit of a hard time sometimes. We just don't want to deal with that. If Iyh there is a simcha ...g-d forbid an emergency?? We need to make sure we have access in and out without dealing with embassies, paper work, governement issues and who knows what else.

freidasima

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 9:09 pm
Tamiri where did you hear that the IRS is harassing americans living in EY?
From what I know if you have no american income or minimal meaning under tax rates ( like up to $10,000a year for which one owes no taxes) and the rest is around $90,000 annually that one earns in EY (foreign earned income) one fills out the simple tax form, takes the exemption, owes nothing and thats all. Halevai on all of us to earn more than $90.000 a person in EY annually!! That is over NIS 25,000 a month per person! Maybe if one is self employed or something with lots of paperwork..but for us average Joes whose whole income here is from sachir salary....what is there to hassle if you give in your 2555EZ or whateverthey call it these days?

grace413

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 3:15 am
FS, there is a requirement to file an FBAR form with the IRS if you have the equivalent of $10,000 or more in foreign bank accounts at any time during the year. This may or may not include kupot gemel.

This requirement has existed for quite a while but recently has been enforced on a more consistent basis. Penalties for not filing can be quite high.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 3:19 am
We made a super-quick Aliyah and I answered Yes definitely! to your poll, but I didn't have a fraction of the mitigating considerations that you have. My kids were younger, I wasn't due any day, no citizenship complications... In your case, I would echo the posters advising you slow it down, take care of one thing at a time and then reevaluate. B'hatzlacha.

catonmylap

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:09 am
freidasima wrote:
Tamiri where did you hear that the IRS is harassing americans living in EY?
From what I know if you have no american income or minimal meaning under tax rates ( like up to $10,000a year for which one owes no taxes) and the rest is around $90,000 annually that one earns in EY (foreign earned income) one fills out the simple tax form, takes the exemption, owes nothing and thats all. Halevai on all of us to earn more than $90.000 a person in EY annually!! That is over NIS 25,000 a month per person! Maybe if one is self employed or something with lots of paperwork..but for us average Joes whose whole income here is from sachir salary....what is there to hassle if you give in your 2555EZ or whateverthey call it these days?

They've gotten stricter about insisting that we all file tax returns and the FBAR. Dh is self-employed and last year he owed US taxes (with a very low income)...we should know soon about this year (with 2 kids, it should be better)....
but the tide has shifted from everyone getting US citizenship so they can get their tax refund... to it might be better not to so your kids are stuck filing tax returns.

If OP's husband can get a 10 year visa or something like that, he doesn't need the citizenship for occasional visits.

I don't know what to tell you about the timeframe. Young kids will adjust, it will just take a longer and be more stressful, the older they get... You could push everything later because they are still fairly young, though I wouldn't do it for the citizenship... I would do it to have everything properly ready to go...basically because of baby..

SacN

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:33 am
Quote:
We made a super-quick Aliyah and I answered Yes definitely! to your poll, but I didn't have a fraction of the mitigating considerations that you have.

This also.

It's totally doable, and fine, to make aliyah quickly. We did it, and are very happy. I WAS, as I mentioned in your other thread, 8 months pregnant.
You may just have to decide which is more important right now--the Aliyah, or the citizenship issues, etc. If you want to make the move, you just have to be organized and make lots of lists of what needs to happen by what date. We did that and it was fine.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:23 am
thanks to all for all the bits and pieces of info. I think I would def leave if I was not pregnant and didn't have all these citizenship issues. Do I tell m y doctor I'm making aliyah?? He told me last I could fly is 32 weeks...which is about a month in a half. And he doesnt do the Strep B test until 36 weeks...

Also - we have already paid a lawyer nearly 2,000 USD to file citizenship papers. If we leave - we risk the chance of losing his status and the money. Have tons of anxiety about this.

My kids are young - but one has a bit of a speech delay concerning me that he might have a hard time with the language. The other has a sensitive personality. While easy going and all

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 5:33 am
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

What is this "quick Aliyah" that you speak of - and more importantly - where can I get it?

I'm scaling up a Mt. Everest of paperwork over here, never mind trying to sort out the house. I just have to take things one fax and one book shelf at a time, but it seems impossible. I am not the most organized person in the world on a good day (understatement of the year). I swear I would pay someone to just hold my hand and keep reminding me to BREATHE!

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 9:27 am
Did you find another house FF?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 6:09 am
studying_torah wrote:
Did you find another house FF?

No, and I can't really start looking until we get close to an arrival date. No one wants to waste their time with "lookie-loos" who aren't ready to commit. We might end up having to stay in a hotel or something for a week or so while we go around with an agent. B'H, there are a lot of listings in that area, so I know that the market isn't that tight.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 3:59 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
No, and I can't really start looking until we get close to an arrival date. No one wants to waste their time with "lookie-loos" who aren't ready to commit. We might end up having to stay in a hotel or something for a week or so while we go around with an agent. B'H, there are a lot of listings in that area, so I know that the market isn't that tight.
FF, I know you want to come to Israel. When are you planning on coming again? I just want to make it clear for you that it does not always take a few days to find an apartment. My parents made aliyah in may. They were still looking for an apartment a week ago. They found something about a month after they came.
It also depends what time of year you come.
Living in a hotel could become expensive if nothing is found that quickly.
Just something to think about.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 7:53 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
FF, I know you want to come to Israel. When are you planning on coming again? I just want to make it clear for you that it does not always take a few days to find an apartment. My parents made aliyah in may. They were still looking for an apartment a week ago. They found something about a month after they came.
It also depends what time of year you come.
Living in a hotel could become expensive if nothing is found that quickly.
Just something to think about.

We hope to be settled by the beginning of the new school year. Where are your parents looking for a place to live? In Nahariya there are so many listings, and all of them are very affordable for us.

I think I would go insane if I had to live in a hotel for more than a few weeks. If I have to, I can stay with a friend in Ma'ale Adummim and take the train up to meet with the agents. It's just really hard to get an agent to take you seriously if you're not actually there yet, and you don't have your paperwork from the Jewish Agency finalized yet.

I know that the price of rentals goes up in the summer because they want the tourists, but once summer is over landlords start looking for long term tenants. Hopefully that will work in our favor.

I'm in touch with my N b'N rep on a nearly daily basis, so he's been giving me great advice on what needs to be done, and in what order. At the end of the day, we'll be there when Hashem wants us to be there, and not a minute sooner. Wink

grace413

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 3:10 am
FF, I'm in MA and would love to meet you if come to visit here.

Just want to let you know that it would take about 4 zillion hours to get from here to Nahariya on public transportation.

Glad your NBN rep is being helpful.

Getting ready for aliya is a lot of work but it will all be worth it.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 4:52 am
grace413 wrote:
FF, I'm in MA and would love to meet you if come to visit here.

Just want to let you know that it would take about 4 zillion hours to get from here to Nahariya on public transportation.

Glad your NBN rep is being helpful.

Getting ready for aliya is a lot of work but it will all be worth it.

Wow, I'd love to meet you, too! Yes, I know that even with the train lines, it still takes quite a while. If I knew anyone living farther north that was on the coastal train line, I'd try and hit them up for a place to stay. The only people I know that far up are in Karmiel and in the Golan, so that doesn't help much.

There's a Chabad couple in Nahariya, but I wouldn't feel comfortable staying by them. They have a zillion kids, don't speak English, and I don't speak a word of Yiddish.

Whenever I get overwhelmed with all of the details about moving, I just watch this video and it keeps me focused on what I'm working for. It's my theme song! You simply cannot be depressed when you hear it. Very Happy

SacN

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 5:16 am
Quote:
thanks to all for all the bits and pieces of info. I think I would def leave if I was not pregnant and didn't have all these citizenship issues. Do I tell m y doctor I'm making aliyah?? He told me last I could fly is 32 weeks...which is about a month in a half. And he doesnt do the Strep B test until 36 weeks…

My doctor said 34 weeks. I made aliyah at 32. It was not a big deal, though the flight was LONG and I needed the bathroom a lot.
I took the strep B test here.

You can tell your doctor that it's a possibility you will be leaving before delivery. Happens a lot. They will bill your insurance differently (per appointment, instead of as a package with delivery). I told my doctor that there was a possibility that we'd be moving to Israel at my first appointment with her, and she was actually really excited for me.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 5:43 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
We hope to be settled by the beginning of the new school year. Where are your parents looking for a place to live? In Nahariya there are so many listings, and all of them are very affordable for us.

I think I would go insane if I had to live in a hotel for more than a few weeks. If I have to, I can stay with a friend in Ma'ale Adummim and take the train up to meet with the agents. It's just really hard to get an agent to take you seriously if you're not actually there yet, and you don't have your paperwork from the Jewish Agency finalized yet.

I know that the price of rentals goes up in the summer because they want the tourists, but once summer is over landlords start looking for long term tenants. Hopefully that will work in our favor.

I'm in touch with my N b'N rep on a nearly daily basis, so he's been giving me great advice on what needs to be done, and in what order. At the end of the day, we'll be there when Hashem wants us to be there, and not a minute sooner. Wink
FF, my parents were looking in jlem and gush etzion. There were/are oodles and oodles of listings. But this one had that wrong and that one had this wrong. My point was that just because you may have a lot of listings for apartments does not mean that you will automatically find something that quickly. Just dont assume that. I hope you do, but you never know.
Are you arriving before school starts? I mean, if you have to stay with a friend in a different city for a while, that will be hard for school.
And, no, people are not looking for renters in september. They are already looking now for renters for next year. Many leases start in the summer months for the coming year. Just saying.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions