Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Schools in Brooklyn

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 12:24 pm
Which schools in Brooklyn are top tier in terms of secular education, LK, and both?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 12:25 pm
I'm sorry I didn't specify preschool and elementary school.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
Which schools in Brooklyn are top tier in terms of secular education, LK, and both?

Both, for girls, Beth Jacob of Boro Park - also the only school with both a gifted program in English studies and full LD services. I have also heard Prospect from some people, but not everyone is comfortable there. Prospect is also more expensive and it's a different clientele.

For boys, Torah V'Daas for elementary, and I have also heard Torah Temima from some people. For high school, Novardok (no idea what it's called officially, but it's called something else.)

If I lived in Brooklyn, my girls would be in BYBP and my boys in whichever school suited them best (there are minor differences between the boys' schools that suit different kids better)

Of course, I am ignoring both some excellent Sephardic schools and MO schools, since you didn't specify that you're looking for that.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 12:37 pm
I specifically didn't specify what kind of schools, because we don't belong anywhere. Alhough my hashkafos lean MO I would be willing to send to a more right wing school if they offer a better education (and ideally are accepting of different types of people),

Why wouldn't some people feel comfortable at Prospect?

lost

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 12:43 pm
I don't know about BYOB. I hear mixed reviews regarding their secular education. I know some very bright girls who do go there which made me look into it even though I'm soooo not Boro Park, but no matter what I heard, just speaking to the people on the phone, seeing the application they sent me and talking to any graduate from the school really turned me off.

After all my research we settled on Shulamith. Not only are they known for providing an excellent secular and LK education but they were the only school which tested my daughters IQ (it's a standard for them) before she was accepted. All the other schools just cared about how me and my husband look, didn't ask a single question about my kid.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 1:24 pm
I know that before Shulamith split up with the one on Long Island it was considered a great school. Has the split affect the Brooklyn Shulamith at all?

lost

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 1:30 pm
Academically they are just as strong, if not stronger, since before the split. Also the parent body remains just as strong which is something to consider cause few things hurt more then to go broke paying your kids tuition and have their schools dictate how you dress and where you vacation. The only issue is that now they do not have a permanent building which is an issue for me and a lot of the other parents who send there... but honestly, after experiencing the alternative in Brooklyn, I will be willing to whither any storm with Shulamith.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
I specifically didn't specify what kind of schools, because we don't belong anywhere. Alhough my hashkafos lean MO I would be willing to send to a more right wing school if they offer a better education (and ideally are accepting of different types of people),

Why wouldn't some people feel comfortable at Prospect?

BYBP is most accepting. Full disclosure, I went there, I was not an easy student, I did not come from a typical Brooklyn frum family, I loved it and had wonderful teachers and outstanding principals.

BYBP is very understanding of difficult family situations and individual student needs, despite the large student body. They also have more resources than any other school. The students go everywhere for high school, including Prospect high school!

My very close friend went to Prospect. Prospect is a great school too. Prospect is more Flatbush-y and a richer and slightly more modern parent and teacher body. The Limudei Kodesh is also strong, but I have heard that it is stronger in BY.
You may not wish to compete from a less well-to-do home. I know some people who complain about that. But you will find that kind of pressure in any school. The students generally go on to more 'modern' high schools.

I don't know where you're coming from. They're both excellent choices. Why don't you meet some graduates of both schools who are daughters of people you know? It might give you a feel of the subtle differences.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 1:56 pm
I would not suggest YOB for someone whose hashkafos lean MO. You will not feel comfortable there. BYBP I would suggest only because you're interested in excellent schools and don't mind a little to the right.

Shulamis has a strong emphasis on academics, but the girls I know who went there lack a certain depth emotional "feel" to their Limudei Kodesh understanding.

I have heard that it is collapsing financially. But it's lasted through 10 years of such rumors.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 2:26 pm
ectomorph wrote:
BYBP is most accepting. Full disclosure, I went there, I was not an easy student, I did not come from a typical Brooklyn frum family, I loved it and had wonderful teachers and outstanding principals.

BYBP is very understanding of difficult family situations and individual student needs, despite the large student body. They also have more resources than any other school. The students go everywhere for high school, including Prospect high school!

My very close friend went to Prospect. Prospect is a great school too. Prospect is more Flatbush-y and a richer and slightly more modern parent and teacher body. The Limudei Kodesh is also strong, but I have heard that it is stronger in BY.
You may not wish to compete from a less well-to-do home. I know some people who complain about that. But you will find that kind of pressure in any school. The students generally go on to more 'modern' high schools.

I don't know where you're coming from. They're both excellent choices. Why don't you meet some graduates of both schools who are daughters of people you know? It might give you a feel of the subtle differences.

What I found challenging about BYBP is the close friends and relatives of mine who went there who had "special circumstances" were ignored. Most of the teachers were very young and inexperienced and were unable to pinpoint when a child needed some help. Yes, they accept children with all sorts of disabilities and challenges and that is very admirable. But if you're not really going to help them out--I.e, you're just going to "let them be" it's not helping.

Also, in terms of learning, Prospect Park always focused on really learning--in text. at least when I was there, having a class called "Michtav Me'Eliyahu" meant you opened a sefer and learned it. None of my BY/YOB, etc. friends ever did that. It was a real eye opener to me when I got to seminary.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 2:36 pm
I have heard that Prospect shifted towards the right. Is that true? If it is what does that mean in reality?
I want a school for her that is diverse in its student body. I don't want a one sits fits all in any regard. I very much respect her individuality and I want her to be in a setting that values it as much as I do. The same way I want her to be exposed to different flavors and levels of Judaism. I don't want her to feel superior to anyone which I've seen happen to kids who went to frummer schools where they were taught the "right" way and that other people were wrong or less holy...
Am I making sense?

Do prospect and shulamith value play based learning or do the kids sit and learn in books all day?

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
I have heard that Prospect shifted towards the right. Is that true? If it is what does that mean in reality?
I want a school for her that is diverse in its student body. I don't want a one sits fits all in any regard. I very much respect her individuality and I want her to be in a setting that values it as much as I do. The same way I want her to be exposed to different flavors and levels of Judaism. I don't want her to feel superior to anyone which I've seen happen to kids who went to frummer schools where they were taught the "right" way and that other people were wrong or less holy...
Am I making sense?

Do prospect and shulamith value play based learning or do the kids sit and learn in books all day?

It has shifted to match the population - the graduates of 10 years ago's kids are generally growing up in a more Brooklyny environment.

It sounds like Prospect is a good match for you then. BYBP will probably be too frum as it has a large chassidish contingent.

I have never heard anyone say anything about play based learning in either school.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 4:00 pm
Thanx for the replies so far.
Anyone else want to chime in?

Bruria

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 7:23 pm
Yeshiva of Flatbush is really strong both in secular and kodesh. Barkai is also very good, and if you are looking into Montessori I heard good things about Luria Academy.

Ashrei

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 7:40 pm
Did no one mention Lev Bais Yaakov?? I'm so surprised! At least hashkafically, it sounds like it's exactly the mix you're looking for. They have a beautiful building and resources, very warm administration. I was not looking into academics very much when I looked into schools, so check me on this, but they are at the very least adequate in academics. It seems the ppl who send there are academically minded. Tuition is fair, and I believe most people pay it (which is why it can be fair I suppose). So they are financially stable it seems. Hatzlacha!

Ashrei

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 7:41 pm
(PS I also know happy parents who send to Shulamis for all the reasons listed here... It is definitely more modern. I think it's officially zionist even?)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics