Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Vent-I hate school plays b/c of the parents
Previous  1  2

justanothermother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 3:29 pm
costanza wrote:
Really Bubby, to imply that I do not shep nachas from my kids? That's pretty rude.

Not as rude as "They are out there - and they're good for a laugh or two."

bubby

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 4:50 pm
Nobody thinks you are a bad mother. However, I think that you are belittling the mothers & grandmothers who DO shep nachas & see the value of these shows. In fact, I consider that your behavior (by YOUR admission) is extremely rude & disrespectful to the teachers who put in the effort , to the mothers who appreciate it, and to the children who are so thrilled to "show off" for Mommy.

Why don't you discuss the value of these shows with your child's teacher? And ask your child(ren) if he/she/they like it when you go to see them in their class. I think you'll be surprised.

costanza

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 5:30 pm
This is getting out of hand. I communicate perfectly well with my children and I have seen first hand what the teachers do to put on the shows (because I actually do volunteer in my kids school and have been there during rehearsals).

Let's just leave it that I have a different perspective than some of you. I value other aspects of the curriculum more than the plays.

ora_43

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 5:40 pm
I agree w/constanza for the most part. School plays have always puzzled me. At least several of the kids are going to be too shy to enjoy themselves (ahh, memories. Horrible, play-related memories). Why not just let kids who enjoy acting do acting as an after-school activity, and use school time for more standard learning?

I know kids learn from being in plays, but I don't think it's an educational necessity, given that many many generations have been successful in all kinds of learning without school plays. And kids could also learn from band, sports, shop class, dance, chem lab, weaving, learning Swahili, etc, but do you really want your school trying to do all that, with the price tag to go with it? Personally if I were paying $12,000 a year I'd also want a school to stick to basics and do something I'm not capable of doing myself.

That said, I can see how school plays are cute, and I always made a big deal out of them when the kids involved (mostly my younger sister) were excited. And yes, to get back to the original subject, parents in the audience should sit down and shut up and let everyone see their kid on stage, because even the play-hating kids will want to know that mommy saw their lines.

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 6:17 pm
ive done plays with my students, (6-8 yr olds) and we don't spend more then a couple of weeks preparing.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 9:49 am
I'm bumping this up because...ARGH!!!!!
I just came back from one of my childrens plays and....ARGH!!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette