Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Any suggestions

amother

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 3:34 am
I am in a situation where I am not sure how to handle it and I was hoping someone out there may have had some experience that they can offer.

I have 2 older children (in their twenties) who, for reasons I don't need to get into, are upset with my husband at the moment. Recently we celebrated my husband's birthday, and they didn't do anything to acknowledge his birthday (other than attend his birthday dinner). Everyone else gave a card, present, etc, except them. He was very hurt by their lack of respect in this manner, and expects me to "call them to task on it". While I don't disagree in theory, I think that when they are "in temper", they won't hear the message and can't do anything different. He sees my "lack of sticking up for him" as me not caring for him in some way, and he tells me if the shoe were on the other foot he wouldn't hesitate for a second to tell them something. I tried to explain to him that as long as they are upset I don't feel my "reproof" will do anything, but he disagrees. Any advice on how to handle this situation both with DH and my children?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 8:56 am
Maybe write them a letter describing DH's hurt feelings, sandwiched between "I understand how upset you were about ____ and your pain is justified."

Then put it in an envelope, and give it to your kids, saying "when you're ready to hear about how Abba is feeling, you can read this letter."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics