Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What now?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 7:22 am
DC was evaluated for LD by a psychologist and was found to possibly have ADD/ADHD. We went to a psychologist who gave him ADHD medication but have been disappointed by his care. The medication doesn't seem to be helping much/at all and the psychiatrist is very difficult to communicate with. DC seems to be a little more of a complicated case unless it's the wrong diagnosis. Who should we go to next?

Any recommendations of excellent Drs in the Hackensack, NJ area?
TIA

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 7:24 am
OP here... I forgot to mention I don't want my child to sit through the 6 hrs of testing all over again. I'm hoping that won't be necessary.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 5:14 pm
bump...please.

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 5:29 pm
PM me. People have shared their experiences with me and I can pass along to you.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:41 am
seeker wrote:
PM me. People have shared their experiences with me and I can pass along to you.

Firstly, thank you for responding. I hope I don't sound rude, but before I PM you and give up my screen name I want to make sure you have the information I am looking for. I am not interested in alternative medicine, vitamins, or a holistic approach to ADD/ADHD. I am looking for names of recommended professionals to help me get to the bottom of what is "wrong" with my child. I appreciate you trying to help either way, but if you have names of Drs in my area I will PM you with the greatest hakorat hatov.

seeker

Post Sat, Jun 28 2014, 8:04 pm
Yes, your post requested names of doctors, and a friend of mine told me about someone she was very happy with, I believe in NJ, I don't know the geography so well but might be near Hackensack, not sure. I will look up the email with his number.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 5:34 pm
Any other recommendations?

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 7:36 pm
Sorry, I don't have any Dr. recommendations. Maybe other parents in your school or neighborhood will?

Here are some things to consider & investigate:

How old is the child & how is it affecting the child's school situation & social interactions?

Were any other learning disabilities noted in the assessment?

What support is available in the child's school? Is there anyone in the school who could recommend local therapists?

Is there a social skills group at school or in the community? Is there someone at school or in the community who teaches organizational skills for school?

My recommendations:

Read everything you can find about "Executive Function"
Find a local parent support group for ADHD
Learn what kinds of classroom and learning adaptations can be made that will help your child.
Learn every thing you can about sensory processing and start to recognize what your child's sensory needs are.

Keep a record of the medications your child has tried & how the child responded.
Also note if your child responds to coffee, coke, Mt.Dew, chocolate & sugar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)