Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Where do I draw the line?

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 3:00 pm
I have a 3 and a half year old son. He gives me a lot of nachas bh but he is not easy to deal with. His two year old teacher who has about 5 years experience pointed out 3 behaviors:

1) not understanding personal space
2) touching things he shouldn't
3) generally having issues listening

She reccomended a specific special ed class that is controversial. I have a deposit at a regular playgroup that is known to be very structured.

If you look at a list of ADHD behaviors he has a lot of them. At what point is he just 3 and at what point do I need an eval?

Also what can I do at home to encourage better behavior?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 3:28 am
Never hurts to get an eval and it's free. I thought my 3 yr old would NEVER qualify for services but he did. He loves getting extra attention from his morahs (therapists.)

What's so controversial about the special ed class? If those 3 things are really interfering with his learning or socialization or are becoming disruptive in the class then I'd probably move him to the special ed class.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 3:37 am
DO IT! I so wish I'd had EI for DD. She'll 11 now, and still has problems.

1) not understanding personal space / body boundaries and physical awareness

2) touching things he shouldn't / impulse control

3) generally having issues listening / auditory processing disorder

None of these things means your child is "a problem", it just means that he's a bit immature in certain areas. The sooner he learns to navigate some of these issues, the happier he will be.

Dealing with an older child who has these issues is not so much fun.

chani8

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 4:36 am
You really can't go wrong with getting early intervention. If your child qualifies, I think it can be very beneficial. OTOH, what kind of gan are they suggesting? If you feel it's not a real fit, then go for an eval first. Just know that when a child is pushed to behave but they have issues, getting in trouble wears down their self esteem. Better to be in a class with less strictness. Special ed is much more relaxed about problem behaviors.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 5:06 am
Evals and EI are very helpful. I say go for both.

However, ADHD is often not diagnosed or treated with medication until at least age 5, so even if nothing definite emerges now, plan on checking again in a couple of years.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 7:30 am
go for family therapy -- sometimes it's not the child's "issue" alone -- he or she could be reacting "normally" to a bigger picture I.e. the family environment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)