Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
22 month old wild child!
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 1:05 am
Can you get an indoor trampoline for the house? Definitely helped me with one of my kids. One with a handle should be fine at his age if he's so active.

Also can you pad the common problem areas, like the area behind the back of the couch or wherever you said he tends to dive face-first?

I also agree with having DH or a girl take him to the park. He seems to need a lot of gross motor movement, and probably enjoys the feedback of banging into things. It is a way of learning, and IY"H eventually he won't need it anymore.

Big hugs, OP! This will pass!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 1:25 am
Is there a porch or somewhere where u can put a little kiddie pool? Most kids will tire after some time with water and sun. It can be a great way for him to give off some energy.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 3:16 am
I think Dolly has some great ideas!

My sister had two boys who were like that. She literally bolted all the furniture to the walls with heavy steel straps (like you use in earthquake zones). She got rid of the coffee table, and put all the breakables in storage for the next 10 years. Her boys would climb up the bookshelves and then launch themselves onto the sofa over, and over, and over again. Sometimes they missed, so she put down a cushy area rug. She made sure that all the sofas and chairs were pushed up against walls, so they couldn't fall down behind them. Somehow, despite their best efforts to do themselves in, the boys survived, and so did my sister.

OP, your DH needs to be taking his son to the park whenever he can, or at least find enough money in your budget to pay a responsible older teen to take him. You need a break!

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 5:07 am
amother wrote:
Ok, these are made up examples but he climbs on everything, had no fear and terrible balance. He hangs head first from the back of the couch over hard floors. Climbs onto the kitchen table, grabs our food I'd werr walk away for a second, climbs on baby gates. B"H he can't climb over yet. He had fallen on his head and face many times and fortunately only needed to go to the er once.

Your baby does not need discipline. He is exhibiting a physiological need for more intense sensory stimulation, which is a healthy, normal need. Some children just have higher sensory needs, even when no actual *disorder* is present. You need to provide acceptable ways for him to meet his sensory needs while keeping him safe. You've gotten lots of good ideas so far: trampoline, crash mat/pile all couch pillows on floor and let him launch himself onto the pile again and again and again..., swinging him around upside-down, park park and more park, water play...

Do a little research about activities that meet children's needs for proprioceptive input and vestibular input. You'll need to find a mix of indoor and outdoor activities and make it a focus of your day, a few times a day to stay ahead of his needs. After a while, you will be amazed to see your child choosing appropriate activities to match his body feelings on his own. Yes, even at 2. But you have to do the research and provide the opportunities.

My 24-mo-old is also a food thrower. If he were hungry he wouldn't throw; if he's throwing he's finished eating. I just end the meal, clean up and move on. He will outgrow it.

suzyq

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 10:03 am
Wow, you could be describing my son. It does get a little better as they get older and are capable of listening better. Right now, it's just very tough. Distraction is your friend. And just wait til the baby comes Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics