Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Homeschooling High School Secular - HELP!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 9:06 pm
Does anyone have experience with homeschooling high school?

Where is the best place to get a curriculum?

Any advice you can offer?

thePrimaIma

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 10:08 pm
How about asking your local public school and/or GED center?
My sister was home schooled and I believe that is where my mom turned to for curriculum.

(This may only apply in the US. not sure about any other country)

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 11:00 pm
We use the american school of correspondence.
https://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

amother

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 11:41 pm
Does your state offer virtual school?
It's through the public school system, but everything is done from home (or anywhere you have computer access).

TzipporahN

Post Fri, Nov 22 2013, 1:17 am
Many people recommend Penn Foster for distance learning.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 5:10 pm
Take a look at the yahoo group jewishorthodoxandhomeschooling

GoMilpitas.com homeschooling pages are very good. There are also some yahoo groups for homeschooling high school.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 5:25 pm
I don't know what my state offers. I just need a starting point. I will look into the sites posted. Thank You.

TzipporahN

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 5:41 pm
What state are you in?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 6:11 pm
NY

TzipporahN

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 7:35 pm
OK, there are laws you need to follow in NY, but don't get scared off by them. It sounds much worse than it is. There was just recently a discussion on the yahoo group about it - look in the archives once you've signed up. PM me if you need more info - I'm not in NY, but could put you in touch with someone who is.

TzipporahN

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 7:36 pm
OK, there are laws you need to follow in NY, but don't get scared off by them. It sounds much worse than it is. There was just recently a discussion on the yahoo group about it - look in the archives once you've signed up. PM me if you need more info - I'm not in NY, but could put you in touch with someone who is.

Chavakaye

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 8:09 pm
You can design your own curriculum if you feel adept. Look at the websites of some Jewish Day School you respect to see their curriculum. I recommend Lee Binz website, The Home Scholar. Even though she is somewhat Xtian oriented, she has lots of great experience and info on creating transcripts, designing classes, college applications, curriculum choices for high schooling homeschool. Take a look at Coursera if your child is self-directed and bright. They are free! Also, you can learn just about anything on Khan Academy. K-12 has high school courses as does Key Stone High School although somewhat expensive. I recommend Thinkwell online math course. You can use Ivrit as a foreign language. English involves reading good literature, writing, vocabulary and grammar. Remember, you do not need to replicate school. Use your child's interests and strengths to create a challenging and engaging curriculum.

Tzippy323

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 8:47 am
When considering home schooling a child, there is more than ordinary curriculum to think about. The old methods of education no longer apply. Today, we are living in the world of the Common Core. Common Core stresses new methods of teaching - placing conceptual knowledge on equal footing with procedural skills when it comes to math. The standards for reading and writing have risen above the roof tops.

If you are seriously considering a home school environment for your child, speak with your local school district. Will this be for limudei kodesh and secular studies? If so, you need to speak with the high school regarding their limudei kodesh curriciulm. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you can take this on without ever having been exposed to the Common Core and what it means in terms of educational expectations. Speak with educators who have experience teaching on the Common Core and use as many online resources as you can. Check out Engageny.org. This is NY state's common core site and it is full of material.

Good luck!

Tzippy

Chavakaye

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 10:11 am
Not so sure what you mean by "the old methods of education no longer apply". That's a pretty broad statement. As someone who is very involved in educational reform and alternative education, I can tell you that there is no agreement or consensus on what the best "methods" are and the pendulum continues to swing. First there was No Child Left Behind and then State Standards. While there is much to be said for the Common Core, you will find vociferous debates its merits. In order to homeschool your child, you don't have to create public school at home. I would speak with other experienced homeschooling families, those you have had children go on to college, to put this in perspective. Checkout the national Yahoo group on homeschooling high school (secular). While the local school district can be a resource, you may find that they do not understand homeschooling and will therefore be less supportive. For help with Limudei Kodesh and secular with a frum perspective, join Jewish Orthodox Homeschoolers on Yahoo.

HappytoHS

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 10:27 am
What are your homeschooling goals and what are your child's goals for the future? There are so many different ways to homeschool and how you get there will depend on where you want to go.

1234abcd

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 6:45 am
HappytoHS, would you say more about your post? I'm intrigued and the info can be useful to me.

TzipporahN

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:44 pm
Gomilpitas.com homeschooling pages should explain the different methods.

There's also the Torah Homeschooling Convention which will be in Monsey this year on the Sunday of Memorial Day w/e. Well worth attending.

tzniutfashion

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 4:53 pm
You can try Melamed Academy, a new secular online K-12 program that is geared towards religious day schools.

Melamed Academy

Their high school curriculum is accredited, their English Language arts program is customized for religious schools, and the graduation requirements are based on the state of NJ, which is rather rigorous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling