Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Why do I only feel 1 of my baby's testicles?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 5:57 pm
Am I supposed to be able to feel both? I don't. At his 6 month well visit pediatrician couldn't find the second one right away. He started saying something about undescended testicle but then he said 'it's good, I got it'. But what can't I fell both? Is that ok?

Optione

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 6:54 pm
My husband only has one and he's a-okay. Wink

amother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 6:56 pm
DS had the same thing. Dr. felt it on and off during well visits but I was never able to find it. It turned out to be undescended testicle and useless because it had become twisted on the way down. They removed it and his other testicle compensates by getting bigger.

amother

Post Sat, Jun 07 2014, 11:24 pm
Not a serious thing, but should be followed by a urologist. They can bring the testicle down, and tell you what's really going on. Tiny chance of problems with this if it's not handled. Get an ultrasound and see where it is, etc. If you're in NY, I recommend Dr. Casale or Dr. Alam both in the same practice at Columbia. If your doctor found it, they might just find it and tell you it's fine and what the implications are of having one so high up or so much smaller than the other.

(Have been through this with my son.)

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Jun 07 2014, 11:49 pm
Just an FYI being that I've been through this, you can def. get checked out by a pediatric urologist, but they usually won't do surgery until they're older than 1, possibly 2 years old, because they can come down on their own.

IMHopinion

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 1:34 am
Very common and your pediatrician will probably follow up with it at every visit.
If the ped cannot find them, then he/she will send you for a sono to ensure all is fine.

No worries, just remind your pediatrician to "look for them" at every well visit.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 1:39 am
Quote:
Not a serious thing, but should be followed by a urologist.

Not at such a young age. It's quite common for young children to have something called 'retractile testicles' which means sometimes it kind've retracts back up. (It's not an undescended testicle because the doctor was able to manipulate it downwards.) Often as the child gets older, it will descend and stay there. Not until the child is older and either it's still retractile or it is completely undescended, do you have to do anything about it. At this point, just make sure you have the appropriate well visits for your child, where the doctor will check it on every physical.

If at the appropriate age it's not descended like it should be, the urologist does a quick procedure where he brings it down (surgically). Please note that this is extremely common. One of the most common causes that we refer children out after they have their yearly physical.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 2:25 am
My son had that. We were referred to an ultrasound where it was confirmed that everything is ok. It's two years later and he's fine but ped checks it at well visits.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 8:26 pm
Op here.

Lately I've realized that only when he's in the bath in a sitting position Am I able to feel both testicles. Any other time I always feel just one.

I'm going for a well visit next week. In the meantime I'm just wondering, maybe a bit concerned too.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:13 pm
Bump

busydev

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:18 pm
if you see it in the bath its fine.
he has two one just likes staying close and the other hangs around. but the bath is the first question they asked me abt when they were suspecting my son of having an undescended teste, but I do see 2 in baths and when he has a fever so no longer any concern. but you can mention to your dr for more assurance Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics