Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
When to let kids read Harry Potter
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 7:02 am
Sherri wrote:
Have you ever looked into Harry Potter and literacy rise in youth, and HP adult fandom?

First, yes.

HP Adult Fandom: No. Want to direct me where to look?

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 7:07 am
We let my 10 year old son read them just now. He devoured the first five books in a week (including reading some twice) but we will not let him read the next two till he is a bit older. They are a bit violent and scary.

I read them all as an adult and loved them. Read them all many many times. There are other kids books I also enjoy. Not all, but some.

zigi

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 7:17 am
my reluctant reader is working his way through percy jackson the lightening thief . he read it b/c I am into it. I am trying to space the heroes of Olympus -last book comes out in October.

I would let him read it now he is 10. I like the way jk rowling uses language her alliteration and the meaning of words for names etc.

I reread the treasures seekers and 5 children and it. narnina

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 9:11 am
I had my DD wait until she was in the summer going into third grade before reading the first two. The third she read durring third grade and the fourth at the end of the year. I'd have her stop there for a while, but we have a Harry Potter quiz / chidon in the community and I told her she could participate. I read all seven books as an adult (they only came out when I was already an adult and I enjoyed the wait for the books too).

Sherri

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 10:39 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
First, yes.

HP Adult Fandom: No. Want to direct me where to look?
gp2.0 would probably have resources. Smile

octopus

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 11:01 am
to say that harry potter is a lot more z-exual in the later books is just Puke imho. how can you even use that phrase? so he has a crush? because of the snogging? good grief!

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 11:40 am
Honestly if you dont want your child to read the part about the kissing close the pages together.
But IMO he will mostly enjoy it from around age 9 or so.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 12:21 pm
I resisted reading the first one because I didn't want to become addicted.

Though I loved Mary Stewart, Hobbit (as a kid), Lion Witch & Wardrobe, Half Magic, Madeline L'Engle etc.
Should I give in now? Am I really missing something?

I don't give my kids anything with kissing. We edit it right out. Mild romance? Not sure. But my young one now is not such as reader as my older (grown) ones were.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:

Though I loved Mary Stewart, Hobbit (as a kid), Lion Witch & Wardrobe, Half Magic, Madeline L'Engle etc.
Should I give in now? Am I really missing something?

I don't give my kids anything with kissing. We edit it right out. Mild romance? Not sure. But my young one now is not such as reader as my older (grown) ones were.

YES! If you love Mary Stewart and Narnia and L'Engle - then Harry Potter is for you. Just pick a time (summer, perhaps?) when reading it won't totally derail you. I'm planning on re-reading it this august.
debs

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:

I'm really curious. Can you explain what you mean? Reading Harry Potter sure is addictive, but it's the best kind of healthy addiction. Why would you want to resist it? To me, that's like saying, I resisted doing gardening in my yard because I didn't want to become addicted...I resisted taking a walk every morning because I didn't want to become addicted...

sunny90

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 12:43 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I'm really curious. Can you explain what you mean? Reading Harry Potter sure is addictive, but it's the best kind of healthy addiction. Why would you want to resist it? To me, that's like saying, I resisted doing gardening in my yard because I didn't want to become addicted...I resisted taking a walk every morning because I didn't want to become addicted...

I think we've been over this already, but as a fellow rabid HP fan and fanfiction reader/writer, I think we'd be good friends.
LOL LOL
Harry Potter was such a huge part of my life for so long, waiting for the books to come out, the reading marathon that would happen the day it was delivered, wondering what will happen next and discovering new stuff every time I read it--and I am still a healthy functioning adult today Smile Even if I was a little addicted.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 1:52 pm
I wish I hadn't read HP yet. Then I could get to read it again for the first time. Cool

One of the nicest things my husband did for me was finding an open shop motzei shabbos that sold HP when the last book came out. I stayed up all night reading it.

I wish Jk would write a sequel. Or a prequel.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:01 am
gp2.0 wrote:

HP has a particular effect on people. Even I got a little obsessed, staying up all night reading Snape/Hermione fanfiction while waiting for the final book to come out.
My 12-year-old student, who loves reading, told me she decided to take a break from HP because she was becoming obsessed with it. She's a smart girl!
Anything too much is unhealthy.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:13 am
sequoia wrote:
HP has a particular effect on people. Even I got a little obsessed, staying up all night reading Snape/Hermione fanfiction while waiting for the final book to come out.
MY 12-year-old student, who loves reading, told me she decided to take a break from HP because she was becoming obsessed with it. She's a smart girl!
Anything too much is unhealthy.

John Green defines nerds (paraphrasing) as people who are unapologetically enthusiastic about the things they like.

And why not? Why not be passionate about the things you love? Why not immerse yourself in them and soak up every drop of enjoyment you can? I just don't get using a word like "addiction" for something that is not only harmless but actually beneficial.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:28 am
gp2.0 wrote:
John Green defines nerds (paraphrasing) as people who are unapologetically enthusiastic about the things they like.

And why not? Why not be passionate about the things you love? Why not immerse yourself in them and soak up every drop of enjoyment you can? I just don't get using a word like "addiction" for something that is not only harmless but actually beneficial.

You should be passionate about things you love! Indeed, the amount of work required for any big project (a book, a painting, a symphony) would be impossible without passion.

I would distinguish that from passive obsession, which CAN become unhealthy and counterproductive.

enneamom

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 8:20 am
sunny90 wrote:
I think we've been over this already, but as a fellow rabid HP fan and fanfiction reader/writer, I think we'd be good friends.
LOL LOL
Harry Potter was such a huge part of my life for so long, waiting for the books to come out, the reading marathon that would happen the day it was delivered, wondering what will happen next and discovering new stuff every time I read it--and I am still a healthy functioning adult today Smile Even if I was a little addicted.

Always.

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 8:33 am
Too bad we'll never be able to quite recapture the excitement of waiting for each book to come out and growing with the series. Definitely the earlier books are suitable for a younger audience than the later books. Even if you have a kid who doesn't scare easily, parents are not offended by the light teen romance, and has a high enough reading level, there is a lot of depth that younger readers totally miss. Even relatively deep insightful young readers will miss a lot, but most young HP readers are just looking for the plot and missing all the fine points. The movies have not helped with this at all.

Fox

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 8:55 am
Such great memories!

My kids were all approximately the same age (I'm the one who gave birth to four kids in two calendar years) when the books were coming out, and I *wasn't* going to purchase each 8-10 year-old kid his/her own book.

So when each book came out, I actually read the whole darned thing to them, approximately two chapters a night. Yup, all 700-plus pages of some of the later ones.

Every night before bed, they piled into my room in pajamas, and I summoned up my elocution skills. By the time the last books were published, some of them were more into it than others, so I figured there would be less competition for the single copy of the book.

They *did* read it, but they still wanted the experience of being read to. Eventually, the audio versions became easily available, and I let Jim Dale do the heavy lifting.

While reading to the kids allowed me to edit anything I thought might be disturbing to any of them, it also gave me tons of great teachable moments.

My kids still argue about HP as a metaphor for both Nazism and Islamism, and at the time, various situations opened the door for conversations about bullying, loneliness, prejudice and all kinds of "big" topics that can be difficult to broach with kids.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics