Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Dealing with 3 year old emotionally

amother

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 12:36 pm
We are moving soon to the other side of town, so we're not leaving family and friends, just moving to a new and better abode. However, I am a little worried about my 3 year old. My family made a similar move- from one side of town to the other- when I was about 3, and my mother told me I did not take it so well and kept crying to go home, and I was not myself for months. So now I'm totally wigged out because I have a sensitive 3 year old who I could totally imagine acting like that. We've already been talking about how we're getting a new house, gone to visit it together etc, but now with the story my mom told me, I'm worried. Any advice?

Plonis

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 12:43 pm
Make a book for him/her.

Take pictures of your "old house" and make a photo book of it. Leave pages to paste pictures of the "new house." Write a simple story about how DC lived in old house and had so much fun. We have lots of memories from old house. Then moved to new house. Will have so much fun in new house too! Pic of toys in old house, pic of toys in new house. DC's bed in old house, DC's bed in new house.

Sometimes I miss old house. We can drive by and wave! Then we go back to our new house and say thank You Hashem! See, in the old house, the backyard was this small. Now we have lots of room to run! In the old house, Mommy's bed was squished over there. Now Mommy's bed has plenty of room! Thank You Hashem for our new house.

The End

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 1:03 pm
buy your child this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-D.....g+day

(get it used, it's out of print.) it's got adorable pictures and goes through moving day. little duck is sad that he's packing away his toys, doesn't want the movers to take his special picture from the wall, etc. a friend even stops by to ask if he can come visit at the new house. it's a very good book for a three-year-old. it's a good conversation starter.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
Make a book for him/her.

Take pictures of your "old house" and make a photo book of it. Leave pages to paste pictures of the "new house." Write a simple story about how DC lived in old house and had so much fun. We have lots of memories from old house. Then moved to new house. Will have so much fun in new house too! Pic of toys in old house, pic of toys in new house. DC's bed in old house, DC's bed in new house.

Sometimes I miss old house. We can drive by and wave! Then we go back to our new house and say thank You Hashem! See, in the old house, the backyard was this small. Now we have lots of room to run! In the old house, Mommy's bed was squished over there. Now Mommy's bed has plenty of room! Thank You Hashem for our new house.

The End

I second this. We made a book for my DS when we did this, with pics and with a story. We actually had a chapter - one about moving and packing stuff up and how much fun it is to eat takeout food on paper plates for a while, and how his blankey and stuffed dog were right with him the whole time, and then another book about our old house ,and another one about the new house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating