Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Australia amothers!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 12:00 pm
My dh's cousins are envisioning leaving Europe and may think of Australia (among other places)

Where in Australia would you send this family

Young yeshivish modern family
Main questions are:

is there "open"/good chol (of course good kodesh) yeshivish schooling not a community school type - they would need for their boys and for their girls
Health care/social security/gvt allowances
Security as a whole and about Jews
Jews more coming or going
% Ashkies among religious
Jewish life (mikve shop shul kollel restaurant...)
Eruv or not
(it does worry them that it's a bit far from Europe and Israel, is plane very prohibitive?)

thank you so much!

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 12:22 pm
It sounds like they're interested in almost anywhere. Wink

rachel91

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 12:36 pm
I would also be more interested in australia, than south america!
The only thing I know is, that it's hard to be allowed to live there.
Good luck!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 12:41 pm
Im not from Australia but I have relatives there. From what I can see Melbourne has a strong community with a few different school options, restaurants, shops, etc. Weather is great. Security seems fine. Mostly australians I've met have been ashkenazi, I think.

Sydney has a smaller community, or its less frum, or both. Perth has a small but thriving community, but probably not good for a yeshivish family.

From what I understand a lot of south africans move to australia so its probably growing.

Distance is a huge issue. We rarely see our australian relatives.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 12:54 pm
Ha! I was going to ask for them about Joburg... lol. But if many are leaving, it's not reassuring to them.
Yes they're pretty open to follow suggestions, if they move they want the best fit IYH wherever it is.

They saw the prices in Aussie and unfortunately I think it will be a deterrent.

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 5:09 pm
I am not Australian but have friends there. Yes, cost of housing in particular is a huge issue, especially Sydney. Melbourne is a bit better, but still pricey, and the Australian dollar is strong (not like 10 years ago when non-Jewish Brits were busy selling up to go). Medicare is good but they encourage takeup of supplemental insurance. You need a visa, which means a job that will qualify you to go.

Tweedy

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 12:37 am
We just made Aliyah from Australia. From what you describe they couldn't live anywhere but Melbourne.

Yes it is very far from here I used get paranoid every time I flew!

Schooling is expensive , and housing! Everything else pretty much similar to Israel! Most people need private healthcare! Pm me if you'd like!

buzz

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 5:11 am
I live in Melbourne and am happy to answer any questions you need..

Pm me if you want

Rodent

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 8:27 am
I think Melbourne would suit them better than Sydney. I can't help with Melbourne specifics but Australia is expensive and unless they have permanent residence they won't be eligible for medicare or government allowances. Visas aren't straight forward to obtain either.
I will say that I think over 90% of observant people are Ashkenazi. Coming or going...There was an article in the paper recently that indicated that the South African immigration boom has ended. I think numbers overall are somewhat stable but maybe moving around a bit.

shaini

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 9:13 am
Certainly Melbourne over Sydney. Melbourne has more of to offer Jewishwise. Many frum Sydneysiders send their kids to school in Melbourne. Melbourne also has more to offer for kosher shopping and many grocery items are available from regular supermarkets. Melbourne's a less expensive city to live in. Majority of the observant community is Ashkenazi, although there are two Sephardi shules, one where frum people daven, the other is mixed (frum and not so). Mikvas are no problem. Like everywhere there are problems with anti-semitisim but from what I understand, no where as bad as some European countries. Weatherwise, depends what you like - it's a different type of heat than Israel. Melbourne has much more up and down in temperatures, one day can be 38 and the next can be 25.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating