Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Menus for before and after a fast...

pumpkinsbubby

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:03 am
I know this has been discussed a million times before, but I need to know the best food ideas to fill me up before the fast and keep me satisfied for a longer period of time.
Also, are there any foods to totally avoid? And does drinking tons of water before the fast really help? What about Gatorade and PowerAde?
Any suggestions in general on how to survive such a long fast? Tisha B'Av where I live ends at 10 p.m.
Looking forward to your suggestions.
TIA!

sky

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:08 am
Tons of water really helps. Best to start drinking extra 3 days in advance, but for sure the whole day before.
I find Gatorade\Powerade helps me. I drink instead of water the day before. Some say water works the same.
I take Caffiene\Tylenol suppositories and it makes a big difference in my day. The Tylenol stops headaches and the caffeine gives me a lift. Yesterday the fast ended around 9:15 and I took 2 of them before any headaches started and I really finished the day feeling pretty good.

Before a fast I find Brown Rice is the best food to eat.

Check this out for some good advice.
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.co......html

pumpkinsbubby

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:16 am
Sky, I have used Tylenol suppositories on fast days, but mostly after I get the headache. Does it help taking them in advance. Also, I have never seen or heard of Caffeine suppositories. Where can I get those?

sky

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:23 am
pumpkinsbubby wrote:
Sky, I have used Tylenol suppositories on fast days, but mostly after I get the headache. Does it help taking them in advance. Also, I have never seen or heard of Caffeine suppositories. Where can I get those?

I take the tylenol before the headache. I find once the headache start it is harder to get rid of. The only time I don't do this is Yom Kippur when I was told I can take plain caffiene, but Tylenol I have to wait for the headache - or know for sure its is coming because it is yom tov.
A Jewish pharmacy near me sells them, I think they make them themselves.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 11:08 am
I eat a ton of watermelon before a fast, and I have found it works really great to keep me hydrated.

heidi

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 12:04 pm
Hydrate like crazy the day before the fast. In the morning I take a caffeine suppository as soon as I wake up instead of my cup of coffee. I think fats and carbs are the best for before the fast. After bread and soup.

tovasara

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 12:53 pm
Just reiterating - lots of water. I always find that makes a difference. In terms of food, I would (and do) avoid sugar beforehand.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics