Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Birth control pills may damage women’s fertility?

blueberries

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 8:52 am
Expert say that women who take the contraceptive pill could have their fertility temporarily damaged and have difficulties measuring it as the markers are suppressed by hormones.

Danish scientists expressed concerns that the pill could hide a severely diminished ovarian reserve, so women cannot get an accurate assessment of their biological clock until three months after they had stopped taking it.

Dr. Katherine Birch Petersen, from Copenhagen University Hospital, says, "We do not believe the pill changes the ovaries in any permanent way. But we still need to know more about the recovery phase after women stop the pill...The pill is unlikely to change the basal ovarian biology of egg depletion - but it certainly changes the appearance of the ovaries and the secretion of AMH (hormone)."

http://torontosun.com/2014/07/.....s-say

Last edited by blueberries on Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 8:55 am
This article lacks any substance, and it does not provide any evidence that fertility is affected.

Happy18

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:34 am
There have been multiple studies on the subject. The only thing that could be said about women using birth control is that a) women don't realize they have fertility issues that they might notice earlier because the pill keeps them regular b) women prevent pregnancy when they are younger and by the time they come off the pill they are older and therefore may have fertility issues.

Do you ever post anything that isn't intentionally trying to scare people?

mgs

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:41 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
This article lacks any substance, and it does not provide any evidence that fertility is affected.

Agreed, as do other articles posted by this poster quoting anonymous "danish researchers".
Amazing how people take any "yuckel" seriously when they hear the word "research, study, scientist" attached to it. If only people knew how many of these are baseless...

blueberries

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:42 am
I'm sorry I did not mean to offend anyone. I just find research interesting and I thought other women would might be interested. I just came upon these news articles and thought I would share it. Are you the type of person that will avoid speaking of children in front of a women that is suffering from infertility? How far do we go?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:44 am
blueberries wrote:
I'm sorry I did not mean to offend anyone. I just find research interesting and I thought other women would might be interested. I just came upon these news articles and thought I would share it. Are you the type of person that will avoid speaking of children in front of a women that is suffering from infertility? How far do we go?

This article does not discuss research. What did you find interesting about it?

It's one thing to discuss children. It's quite another to talk about risks that infertile women may face. Don't you understand that?

Happy18

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:47 am
blueberries wrote:

Scaring people and discussing children in front of them are not the same thing. Do you really not understand the difference?

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:57 am
a question mark at the end of your thread title might have alleviated the anger you seem not to wish you caused. that is the difference.

mille

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:01 am
This isn't research. This is a popular press article. It didn't even link to the actual study aka real research.

blueberries

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:01 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
a question mark at the end of your thread title might have alleviated the anger you seem not to wish you caused. that is the difference.

Added it.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:05 am
blueberries wrote:

Actually seems more like you find fluff interesting. None of the articles you post are seriously researched.

blueberries

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:10 am
I will make sure next time that I have permission from you before I post fluff.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 4:46 pm
blueberries, have you gone through IF? If not, can you please stop posting these articles that are for sure making (other) women that are going through IF feel bad.
When I read the title and then read who wrote the post, I actually had to pick my mouth up off the floor. Why do you feel the need to show us this "research"? What does it do for you to share this?

Hakol Letovah

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 3:24 pm
I heard about it before the article, many people believe so, it does affect hormones and a known cause for future MC for years later. for that reason many kallah teachers I spoke with encourage Kallas not to take the pill prior to wedding, but try to schedule it based on calendar, with the risks of the unexpected.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 3:45 pm
it's a well known unproven 'fact' that bcp can temporarily mess up a woman's cycle for a few months after it's stopped. also, it can cause multiple pregnancies because the ovaries overcompensate. RE's prescribe bcp often before a cycle of IVF or IUI to wake up the ovaries.

Ppl should discuss everything with their drs before taking any oral medications of any sort....

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 3:49 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
it's a well known unproven 'fact' that bcp can temporarily mess up a woman's cycle for a few months after it's stopped. also, it can cause multiple pregnancies because the ovaries overcompensate. RE's prescribe bcp often before a cycle of IVF or IUI to wake up the ovaries.

Ppl should discuss everything with their drs before taking any oral medications of any sort....

Sources for any of the above? Large scale studies have demonstrated that women who used bcp get pregnant immediately afterward at exactly the same rates as women who haven't. In other words, same percent get pregnant within one month, three months, six months, etc.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 6:15 pm
I have no sources. Just anecdotal / yenta evidence of 'stories I heard' of kallahs who had trouble after going off the pill, people who suddenly had twins after going off the pill, etc. It's not a scientific study.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 6:36 pm
A kallah is generally not taking regular bcp, she is more likely taking something very short term to push off or manipulate her period in some way. That has no bearing on a woman who takes bcp regularly and then stops. Further, a woman who recently married is undoubtedly under a lot of stress (whether good stress or bad, the body is affected similarly) and that can also affect her cycles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics