Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Oorah torah mates

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 8:13 am
Ok I'm thinking of volunteering for Oorah and be a Torah mate. I was wondering if anyone does it and what their experiance is.

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 10:42 am
I've done it.
It's great. You just need the time, which at this point I don't have !

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 2:17 pm
Do you need lots of knowledge ??

kollel momma

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 12:46 pm
I have never done but a few friends have. if you went to a bais yaakov type school you should have all the knowledge that you need. also they provide books and material and the coordinators are availbale to get you answers you need to anything you dont know how to answer. Hatzlacha Rabba

Zehava

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 1:46 pm
Thanks!! I applied online and haven't gotten an answer yet

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 2:10 pm
I have a Torah mate and have been asked to be one as well. I am not a bais Yaakov girl. My Torah mate is twenty years older than me and Frum from birth but we learn TOGETHER so it's not like she knows everything and I know nothing. Our topics have ranged from hafrashat challah to Chafetz Chaim to advanced kashrut ( and I am VERY experienced with that in a practical way.)

We work it how it works for us. Our families have met and it's been good for us on a personal level too.

My husband and daughter also have Torah mates and our son has finally been given one. Apparently they really need volunteers. If anyone wants an internal connection to the women's coordinator, pm me.

Ultimately my Torah mate is thrilled because we may have gon through stuff she has learned before like Chavez Chaim, or we have gone deeper on topics that she learned but not in so much detail. like harashat challah. Ultimately it's like we both teach each other. I have been away for months so I am looking forward to getting back to it!

climbing613

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 4:27 pm
Did you end up doing it?
I'd love to hear how it's going.
I've been contemplating doing this for a while now and would love to have more information.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 6:13 pm
I would like to have a torah mate in the ny area

amother

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 6:17 pm
it is bashert ! I posted my request by chance at 6;13 pm ! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:15 am
Enjoy! I was a Torah Mate for about 2 years with someone very new to yiddishkeit. (until my life got too busy.)

I do not have a Bais Yakov education. I am a BT who learned for about a year in seminary, and has been frum & learning since my early 20's.

Oorah is great. They will send a book for both of you to learn from, so you do not have to go out & spend on that.

They also send supplemental materials for the chaggim & encourage you & your learning partner to come once a year to a family yom tov or summer retreat at their beautiful camp in the Catskills.

Once you start learning with your partner, you will realize that you know much more than you realize & can be a huge support to someone who is interested in growing in Jewish practice & learning.

Zehava

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:22 am
No I never got a response so I let it slide. Too bad I'd still love to do it. But I'm really not good at getting things like these done. I'm too afraid of failure to try too hard for anything.

Frenchfry

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:33 am
There is also "Partners in Torah". I believe it's run by Torah Umesora
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational