Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Not sure whether to tell Jewish patient I am Jewish too?!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 2:32 pm
I am a student nurse. On my placement currently there is an old lady patient on the ward I am working in and she always chats with me when I go to see her, she is so sweet. She's been in hospital for a week now. Some days when I feel challenged or out of my depth she always makes me feel better and tells me I'm a wonderful nurse right in front of my mentor! I know she is Jewish as she orders kosher food every day but I don't look it especially in my uniform and she doesn't know I am!! Do you think I should tell her I am Jewish too?

kb

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 2:35 pm
Why should you? (not that you shouldn't, just wondering why you think you should.)

imasinger

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 2:43 pm
You could tell her in code...

If you see her late tomorrow or Friday, wish her good Shabbos.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 2:51 pm
Tell her outright and thank bet for her praise.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 4:57 pm
imasinger wrote:
You could tell her in code...

If you see her late tomorrow or Friday, wish her good Shabbos.

This. Sometimes it feels nice to bond over religion.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 5:14 pm
I like the "Good Shabbos" suggestion. And she'll almost certainly feel a bit better just knowing that her nurse is on the same team, so to speak, and that may help her maintain a good attitude and iy"H have a complete refuah.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 5:16 pm
Why shouldn't you? Nothing to hide there.

mammaboy

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:05 pm
Most people feel better when they know they have a nice Jewish nurse looking out for them.

naturemom

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 10:38 pm
Chances are she already suspects that you are Jewish and is trying to figure out a polite way to find out without asking.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 11:14 pm
As a student I had a holocaust survivor as my last patient before graduating.

At one point I was ready to cry because he was loosing hope, I took his hand and said, "your a special neshama to have made it through what you did."

He smiled and said, "it's amazing how us neshamas find each other no?"

His family told me that the days he had me (I had him as a patient for 2 weeks), that he was happier and more lively and they appreciated me being there.

Now that I am a nurse, my name tag has my name which is a jewish sounding name, and I wear a necklace that says mazel in hebrew. Today I went to pharmacy to pick up an urgent medication for the OR and the pharmacist looked at me and said "mem zion lamed, what does that say?" I smiled and said "Mazel meaning luck, and he smiled."

There are ways to say things, I always say good shabbos on friday to my Jewish doctors Smile
Slowly some are responding back Smile

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 1:01 am
Is it a secret?

hotmom

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 1:10 pm
She's grown attuned to you because she smells you're Jewish. Personally I think there is nothing wrong if she knows you're Jewish, if anything it will make her at ease to know there's a Jewish nurse around who she can relate to and confide in. And guess what....! They need it and you never know what Zechus you'll have giving her the comfort that she not physically alone and she has a nurse who feels for her and understands her needs. In the end of the day a Jewish heart is a lot warmer and connects with other Jewish hearts.
Good Luck!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 17 2014, 2:37 pm
My husband is a very jewish looking Physician Assistant. He always tells me how the jewish patients tell him that just the fact that he understands them makes them feel more comfortable. Why not tell her? It will make a sick women fell a little better about herself

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 3:02 pm
Thank you all I will definitely tell her!! All your replies made me feel so privileged to, PG be a nurse. It is such a privilege. Smile

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 3:03 pm
whoops didn't mean to repeat myself there haha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics