Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Muslim Woman in a Jihab Wears MiMuMaxi Frum Skirt ---
1  2  Next

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 1:16 am
Apparently this was considered quite scandalous that two frum women Mimi Notik and Mushki Hecht (or vice versa) posted an instagram of a muslim woman wearing a lovely tznius maxi skirt from their modest clothing line called MiMUMaxi.

I read this on the internet and they did an interview and quite frankly I didn't think it was terribly scandalous at all but other people are horrified and disgusted by them.

How do you feel about this?

Does it bother you that muslim women wear clothing from drum clothing designers?
Actually,, initially I was a little flipped out until I watched their interview.

I wish I was savvy enough to find it and post inhere because I am quite curious what you all think and feel about this...

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 1:23 am
Why "scandalous"??

There are other segments of society who prize modesty. Big deal. And maxi skirts are even fashionable in the secular world, where modesty (as we might define it) is not a high priority.

Is their business like imamother, where potential customers/members must pass a quiz on Orthodox Judaism in order to place an order?

Last edited by DrMom on Mon, Jul 21 2014, 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 1:29 am
Hijab.
I think it's a great idea. Good for business and good to connect with people of other faiths through the points we agree on.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 1:37 am
sorry about that...using the wrong word...

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 1:38 am
Apparently these two young women clothing designers were blasted verbally and attacked online etc.

I think If we were ALL a little more tolerant and flexible life would be so much more serene.

I wish I could post their interview.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 1:41 am
Just a little plug for the MIMUMAXI clothing line---It is quite fabulous!
You should check them out online.

ally

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 2:17 am
I saw the comments and think those people are insane.
I cannot imagine which rock they crawled out from under.

I was most disturbed by the vast number of commentors claiming their racism and bigotry was simply out of concern for the sensitivities of us in Israel. I'm in Israel, I think you're nuts and an embarrassment to us all.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 2:31 am
I occasionally shop Islamic clothing sites, depending on the tone of the shop. There's a shop in Australia called Rayannes Desgin that has treated me wonderfully. Another shop I used to like sent out an ad with a #FreeGaza hashtag in giant letters, and I unsubscribed immediately.

If I know the country is tolerant of Jews and basically secular in attitude, I'm totally OK with it - as long as I can't find the same or similar item from a Jewish store (even at a slightly higher price.)

If the clothing comes from a country that is actively hostile to Israel, I don't care how affordable or gorgeous the clothing is, they don't get my business.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 2:35 am
http://www.timesofisrael.com/n.....ssue/
Will read when I get a chance.

little_mage

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 6:15 am
I have to say, that article makes me want to go buy something from the company. Even with all the tensions in Israel right now, stuff like that gives me hope that there will someday be peace.

chaos

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 7:01 am
Modesty is not a uniquely Jewish value. Back when I was shopping for a wedding dress, I visited Mormon wedding dress sites to find a stylish, modest wedding dress, and I actually got the advice to do so from a frum blogger. I think it makes sense that MiMu Maxi would have Muslim, Pentacostal Christian, Mormon, and other religious non-Jews among their clientele and it makes sense that they would want to show their clothes stylized in different ways to appeal to their target markets.

chaos

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 7:09 am
Also, isn't it great that Muslim and Christian women are supporting our Jewish-owned businesses? I see this as a positive.

The negative commenters are actually doing more to help this business. I hadn't heard of MiMu Maxi until now. I just went on the website. The clothes don't work for my style, but I know plenty of friends who love this style so I'm telling all of them about this company.

bnm

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 7:34 am
what next? Arabs can't shop in the kosher aisle in shoprite? We can't discriminate about who buys our stuff but in light of the current situation maybe they shouldn't have posted the picture till things calmed down.

SRS

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 7:45 am
Many communities push young people into business where they are reliant on the community for their support and if they find and develop market beyond that we yell at them and criticize them. Lovely. Those who criticize are essentially asking that the modest fashion market be turned over to Muslim ladies since it is risky to be in the modest fashion market when your clientele is diverse.

I am not a customer of their line personally, but I support their right to sell clothing to buyers of all types including Muslim ladies who are themselves "modernizing" by wearing such clothing. Furthermore, the fact is that modest clothing is so much easier to find and is enjoying greater popularity and we should be thankful to those who are making that possible.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 9:00 am
Hello - we all do the opposite almost daily! Who has a kikiriki? They are a Turkish company!

proudema

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 9:08 am
Who the heck gets upset over garbage like this?! It's not like the designers posted the pic with hashtags or quotes about freeing Palestine or whatever. It's just clothing for crying out loud! Anyone can buy anything. Who cares?! People need to get a life.(reminds me of some of the letters to the editor in frum publications. One person actually wrote in that woman who carry their shaitel heads with wigs on it as opposed to carrying it in a carrier, is making a Chillul Hashem. shock people are bored with their lives they have to stir up controversy in the dumbest places)

suzyq

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 9:58 am
I don't understand - people are upset because non-Jewish women are buying modest clothing? Why does it matter if it's someone who is Muslim, Christian, or Wiccan - who cares? I'm honestly just flabbergasted. Some people just like to get upset about anything.

chaiz

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 10:00 am
proudema wrote:
people are bored with their lives they have to stir up controversy in the dumbest places)

Totally agree. If they are so upset about the situation there are many other things they can be doing that might actually help. B"H they can be bored, I guess.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 10:07 am
To be honest the picture was posted at a really tense time and I personally was taken aback when I saw the picture. But the comments were very cringe- worthy. It's an open public account and to anyone reading the comments the general impression was BAD. So anyone posting about 'chillul H' and then blasting the picture were not exactly making a Kiddush H' themselves. Especially since the fashion blogger Hipster Hijab featured seems to be an American who probably has no connection to the middle eastern politics, and is mainly concerned with modest fashion, just like MIMU.

I personally probably would not post a picture of a Muslim woman these days- yes, its a sensitive time- but people need to be aware that their blasting comments can be seen by a loooot of people and they should think about about what kind of impression their comments make before posting.

monseychick

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 10:40 am
You do realize there are many Moslem women in Montclair State Univ, Fairleigh Dickinson, Rutgers and other schools who are from Azberghan, Georgia, and other places. I met them and they were very pro-Israel and friendly to frum women
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics