Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Muslim Woman in a Jihab Wears MiMuMaxi Frum Skirt ---
Previous  1  2

ally

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 12:40 pm
tigerwife wrote:
To be honest the picture was posted at a really tense time and I personally was taken aback when I saw the picture. But the comments were very cringe- worthy. It's an open public account and to anyone reading the comments the general impression was BAD. So anyone posting about 'chillul H' and then blasting the picture were not exactly making a Kiddush H' themselves. Especially since the fashion blogger Hipster Hijab featured seems to be an American who probably has no connection to the middle eastern politics, and is mainly concerned with modest fashion, just like MIMU.

I personally probably would not post a picture of a Muslim woman these days- yes, its a sensitive time- but people need to be aware that their blasting comments can be seen by a loooot of people and they should think about about what kind of impression their comments make before posting.

I know the BDS movement likes to talk about our racist apartheid state but really, if I got offended every time I saw a hijab, I wouldn't be able to walk out my door.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 2:17 pm
Muslims eat some kosher meats. In nice-living areas you can see them at the kosher restaurants.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 2:53 pm
ally wrote:
I know the BDS movement likes to talk about our racist apartheid state but really, if I got offended every time I saw a hijab, I wouldn't be able to walk out my door.

I wasn't offended, just surprised, because at a time when you are scrolling through posts and posts of pro-Israel/ spiritual images, it's strange to suddenly see a smiling Muslim woman.

I've viewed Hipster Hijab's profile before and find her blog fascinating (she does have a lot great modest fashion ideas). I just didn't expect a spotlight on her now.

But the negative comments on the MIMU post are far worse. Just saw an article from Daily Mail with the headline "Orthodox Jewish design duo are branded 'appalling' and 'shameful' for posting a photo of Muslim fashion blogger wearing their modest-chic wares".

Ouch, ouch, ouch.

ally

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 3:15 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I wasn't offended, just surprised, because at a time when you are scrolling through posts and posts of pro-Israel/ spiritual images, it's strange to suddenly see a smiling Muslim woman.

I've viewed Hipster Hijab's profile before and find her blog fascinating (she does have a lot great modest fashion ideas). I just didn't expect a spotlight on her now.

But the negative comments on the MIMU post are far worse. Just saw an article from Daily Mail with the headline "Orthodox Jewish design duo are branded 'appalling' and 'shameful' for posting a photo of Muslim fashion blogger wearing their modest-chic wares".

Ouch, ouch, ouch.

I really do not see the issue.
Except that it is racism, plain and simple.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 3:23 pm
I personally don't see it as racist, as there is no hate involved, but I do understand why you would find it so. Guess I can't explain it well.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 3:36 pm
I'm actually giggling now because my BIGGER (no pun intended) problem with MiMuMaxi is that they don't carry anything in plus size--in fact a lot of their stuff is available in small and extra small.

Sorry, just have to add that just because we are full figured doesn't mean we like to dress frumpy.

Just saying...

ally

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 3:43 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I personally don't see it as racist, as there is no hate involved, but I do understand why you would find it so. Guess I can't explain it well.

Racism involves ascribing attributes or ideas to someone based solely on their race and the inability to disassociate the individual from the group.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 3:46 pm
I would buy from a Muslim firm (who doesn't oppose Israel) before buying from a Jewish firm refusing to carry what is called "plus size" nowadays

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 4:04 pm
ally wrote:
Racism involves ascribing attributes or ideas to someone based solely on their race and the inability to disassociate the individual from the group.

I understand.
The point isn't that they were wrong to feature her.
I just found the timing odd.
But the fact that I would find it odd these days to feature an American Muslim woman (who perhaps does not even have an opinion on the war in Israel), may be construed as racism. Ah well. It could have been a great marketing for them if not for the sensitive timing.

Chloe

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 5:13 pm
It's definitely good for business, being featured on the front page on dailymail. Good for them. Oh and some people seriously need to calm down.

SRS

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 6:20 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I'm actually giggling now because my BIGGER (no pun intended) problem with MiMuMaxi is that they don't carry anything in plus size--in fact a lot of their stuff is available in small and extra small.

Sorry, just have to add that just because we are full figured doesn't mean we like to dress frumpy.

Just saying...

I had no idea because the clothing looks on the larger or at least on the not-quite-fitted side from the pictures. Perhaps that is because it less tailored than the clothing I tend to choose.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 8:00 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
Apparently this was considered quite scandalous that two frum women Mimi Notik and Mushki Hecht (or vice versa) posted an instagram of a muslim woman wearing a lovely tznius maxi skirt from their modest clothing line called MiMUMaxi.

I read this on the internet and they did an interview and quite frankly I didn't think it was terribly scandalous at all but other people are horrified and disgusted by them.

How do you feel about this?

Does it bother you that muslim women wear clothing from drum clothing designers?
Actually,, initially I was a little flipped out until I watched their interview.

I wish I was savvy enough to find it and post inhere because I am quite curious what you all think and feel about this...

I find the uproar ridiculous. I LIKE it when I see muslims with kosher meat in their baskets. I also like seeing that they cover up even more than me because honestly it makes me feel like someone has it worse than me. my daughter has a close friend who is a hijabi and honestly, they are totally the only two who completely understand the challenges of being a modest teen in their group. Even the modest christians wear sleeveless. of course, she goes to a cesspool which is a public high school. You know where her skanky friends are total geeks and don't talk to boys just because they don't. but I digress.

When she had time, my daughter was going to start a blog for modest dresserts of all religions because they each have something in common with each other than they don't with others. She has lined up guest bloggers and everything.

I often look at hijab sites and am amazed by the inexpensive head coverings that are not scarf based. in fact, our lubavich rebbetzins here each own hijabs that are basically pretieds that they cover with (not their necks of course) sometimes.

why we can't s ee the similarities when we have them is beyond me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics