Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliya On My Mind

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 5:45 pm
My husband and I have decided we want to make Aliya. I am both excited and scared. We want to do this right. Our plan is for my husband to have a job there before we go, and I will spend the first year helping the kids adjust. We are looking at Anglo neighborhoods, and right now Efrat looks great.

My question for all of you who have successfully made Aliya is, what should I do over the next year? What should I buy to bring, what should I sell and not bring, how should I prepare my kids, etc. Our plan is to hopefully move next summer. Also, any other advice on neighborhoods?

For those who have made Aliya with kids, what do you wish you did differently, what are you happy you did, etc.

Thank you!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 5:48 pm
You have not mentioned how old your kids are but if they are already school age then the most important thing is for them to start learning hebrew right away. This will help them acclimate better.

And just realize that not many companies will hire someone before they actually step foot in the country, so that may be hard, to find a job before you get here.

ProudMommie

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 2:11 am
Mazal Tov!

It is a huge zchus to live in E'Y and aliyah is a tremendous journey of growth...

Please send me a private message and I will send you my phone number. We made aliyah last year so it is all fresh in my mind... I can give you a few tips that may be helpful. I can also give you the numbers of other people you can talk to.

faigy123

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 5:24 pm
I wish I had gone with NEFESH B"NEFESH it would be a lot easier physically and financially

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 2:15 am
faigy123 wrote:
I wish I had gone with NEFESH B"NEFESH it would be a lot easier physically and financially
why financially? Its not like they are giving money away or anything?
I came before nefesh bnefesh and am so happy I did.
And as for easier, thats also a myth. When I had to do all of the bureaucratic things it was pretty much smooth sailing for me. Not everyone has a crazy story about it. Nefesh bnefesh is wonderful, but many many many many many people made aliyah to eretz yisrael before them and did just fine.

heidi

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 5:40 am
Shabbatiscoming, if I recall correctly you made aliyah without children. Nefesh b'Nefesh saved us from having to shlep with several cranky children through the whole beaurocratic process.
OP, how old are your children? It was a very difficult adjustment for my children and their Hebrew lessons from beforehand were worth zilch.
Make a pilot trip with your children if possible and find a community and schools.
Bhatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions