Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Zero Tolerance by Peri Berger, what's your opinion?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 6:28 pm
Have you read Zero Tolerance by Peri Berger? What's your opinion? Worth purchasing? Comments, please! TIA

booboo24

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 7:52 pm
Is that the book on bullying?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 7:54 pm
Yes, it is. Have you read it?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 8:01 pm
I just read it. Food for thought. But no real answers IMO (are there any?) -- depends on what the price you're paying for it. I'm not sure it's a book I'll have a drive to re-read...

amother

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 8:43 am
I just finished the book. It started out great. I almost bought an extra copy for some of my married children who have bullying issues at school with their young ones. But as the book progressed, all the good I liked at the beginning faded away... It seemed to me as though the author was rushing to finish writing the book without getting all the missing links together.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 4:39 am
B U M P

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 9:45 pm
amother wrote:
I just finished the book. It started out great. I almost bought an extra copy for some of my married children who have bullying issues at school with their young ones. But as the book progressed, all the good I liked at the beginning faded away... It seemed to me as though the author was rushing to finish writing the book without getting all the missing links together.

I felt this way too... I was very much looking forward to reading it, but felt like it wasn't realistic enough, points not fleshed out enough, missing pieces. I enjoyed the read, but wouldn't reread

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 4:37 am
amother wrote:
I felt this way too... I was very much looking forward to reading it, but felt like it wasn't realistic enough, points not fleshed out enough, missing pieces. I enjoyed the read, but wouldn't reread

The first half was really good. Then somehow the author went off track to a therapist who herself needed therapy and to a horse's stable for therapy for the boy being bullied. Not realistic reading for anyone looking to find down to earth solutions to their own child's bullying problems.

booboo24

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 7:22 am
Yes I read it, I agree with everyone else it started out wonderfully then it got weird. The whole storyline with the therapist and her issues was just plain odd as well as the whole horse therapy thing didn't seem realistic.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 4:31 am
B U M P
Any more comments? I find the above comments very helpful. I am now curious to read the book, but would definitely not purchase a copy for my library.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 7:35 am
If you're in Baltimore, I'd be happy to lend it to you!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 8:32 am
I really enjoyed Not By Accident, by Naomi Raskin. Very well developed characters, very realistic, not your typical story. I couldn't put it down. If you're looking to buy one of the latest novels, I'd suggest this one instead.

mdoif

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 8:34 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I really enjoyed Not By Accident, by Naomi Raskin. Very well developed characters, very realistic, not your typical story. I couldn't put it down. If you're looking to buy one of the latest novels, I'd suggest this one instead.

I second that. Surprisingly good for Jewish lit.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 11:25 am
OP here. Mdoif and Amelia Bedelia, since you already changed the topic somewhat from Zero Tolerance to Not By Accident, please allow me to go a little further and ask the following:

Does anyone judge a book by it's cover? The reason I'm asking is that I was anxious to buy Zero Tolerance because it said Stop Bullying...which immediately caught my attention being that we have a problem right now with one of our grandchildren being bullied Sad
Then when you suggested Not By Accident, I went online to research the book. The cover "scared" me. I do not like horrifying books about people being killed in accidents. So much so that even though the description of the book seemed good, I shrugged away from it when I initially saw the cover, because I don't like books with death and dying Sad
Any comments about this, please?

Does a book cover make it or break it for you when deciditing whether or not to buy a new book?

zigi

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 3:21 pm
both of the covers are striking, they get one's attention I read both of them. the zero tolerance book. I wish it had some professional info at the end. it just ended. it made one think.

not by accident, I couldn't relate. its an more of a teenage book. I couldn't really relate to the characters

debsey

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 4:03 pm
Really? I loved Not By Accident, and I'm an adult. So well written for a Jewish novel, and so thought provoking.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 4:50 pm
OP, if you're looking for a book on bullying, didn't Mrs. Rivka Schonfeld write a picture book called, My Friend, The Bully?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 4:58 am
Amelia Bedelia, yes I am looking for a good book on bullying. That's why I was so excited when I heard about Zero Tolerance. But then it did not live up to "my" expectations. It left me sort of "empty" of ideas and suggestions...even as a novel I would have liked to see a better ending. So many unanswered questions. Don't want to give away the ending for those who'd still like to read it, but why did the victim get blamed for being attacked by the bully's father and brother? What did he do wrong? And not a word was mentioned about the bully's father who should have been held responsible for the entire incident with the horse?????????
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room