Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Split Ends - Mishpacha serial
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Culturedpearls

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 12:29 am
Who's enjoying this? I'm finding the characters very realistic & Bin's ADHD so unfortunately typical as is his mothers denial.

June

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 12:45 am
Idk about it... I find it very exaggerated, but then again it makes me think I should thank G-d I don't know anyone with adhd as extreme as this guy.

also, the ex-wife seems to be very bitter and unlikeable. the first chapters didn't give that impression so much, but now every week she indulges in paragraphs of self-pity. yech.

Culturedpearls

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 1:01 am
She's entitled to self pity. IMHO

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 4:29 am
Sorry, I am finding the chapters to be very choppy and even though I have read every weeks addition, I feel like I am missing something.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 7:08 am
I think there's more than aDHD at play here, he's very flightly and irresponsible and self centered.
Also, the kid 'suddenly' developed adhd? There are usually signs way before age six. theyre like that when theyre 2, 3, 4 yrs old.
Libby should really join the support group for divorced mothers, I dont get why she's so resistant to that.
I can appreciate Rivky's dilemma, it's really hard when your best friend becomes your ex relative.

acccdac

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 7:17 am
I have never read any of the serials in any of the magazines. I decded to read this one for some reason and I'm enjoying it. I'm dont mind if its not necessarliy too realisitic.

On the not knowing about ADHD......the mother is in denial and that is why he was never diagnosed. Teachers probably told her many times to get him diagnosed but she didnt listen. Plus we're talking about people who are 25-35, which is my age range and people in those days were not "diagnosed" so easily.

Libby probably liked the fact that he had ADHD when they were dating. He probably was spontaneous, he was probably carefree, fun loving etc. She probably chose him for those qualities and once Avi was born and it required him to put in his efforts and responsibility he couldnt/didnt. Avi is 7, which means that she probably lived with it until he was 2-3 yrs. then she opened up her mouth and they went for help for another 2 years and by the time the divorce went through avi was 7, so the timing is kind of realistic too.

malkacooks

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 11:39 am
can someone tell me whats going on with this serial? put my subscription on hold for a month while I was away and now I'm toally lost. ty

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 12:16 pm
malkacooks wrote:
can someone tell me whats going on with this serial? put my subscription on hold for a month while I was away and now I'm toally lost. ty

Basically, both Bin and Libby were dating people sort of seriously. The woman Bin was dating came to her senses and ended it. Bin went postal (sorry to good USPS workers everywhere) and the man Libby was dating decided he couldn't handle the package.

Both Bin and Libby agreed that their son shouldn't go on medication, despite his being a textbook case for needing it. As part of Bin's consequences for totaling his shadchan's car, he had to see a psychiatrist. (Their appointments are especially fun reading.) And Libby went on vacation. (Side note that might dangle: her assistant took care of a customer, using skills way beyond her job description.)

Meanwhile
Hidden: 

Bin has not only become open to medication but he's gone on meds and calls Libby's and asks if she'll consider a reconciliation.(
(Not that the story's anywhere near ending but this is a really juicy detail, hence the spoiler alert.)

amother

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 5:10 pm
When I get Mishpacha, I rip it open and the first article I read, is, SPLIT ENDS!!! I just find it extremely interesting, even though, I have no experience with ADHD or divorce bh. I just love it!!! keeps me on the edge...all the time!
As an interesting side note, my friend stopped her subscription to Mishpacha because of this story, plus the many recent articles of abuse (spousal and children etc) and Lev Tahor. She felt that she does not want her teenagers exposed to all these problems. What is your opinion?? (btw, she is a Bais Yakov, middle of the road mom)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 6:04 am
amother wrote:
When I get Mishpacha, I rip it open and the first article I read, is, SPLIT ENDS!!! I just find it extremely interesting, even though, I have no experience with ADHD or divorce bh. I just love it!!! keeps me on the edge...all the time!
As an interesting side note, my friend stopped her subscription to Mishpacha because of this story, plus the many recent articles of abuse (spousal and children etc) and Lev Tahor. She felt that she does not want her teenagers exposed to all these problems. What is your opinion?? (btw, she is a Bais Yakov, middle of the road mom)

I wonder if my kids were younger. At this point, I feel that if they're going to be exposed, let it be through Mishpacha, which I feel handles things pretty well. And my kids will hear of things. My son mentioned that someone from Lev Tahor was davening in shul. He's into music so I thought this was the a capella group embarrassed Then he clarified. And he's going to hear of stuff, that's the nature of a young teen age boy in yeshiva, even if not all the issues you mention.

malkacooks

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 8:55 am
amother wrote:

ty pink for the great update. now I dont feel so lost. as for the poster above, my personal pet peeve is when the magazines cater to the teenage crowed. thats why I ended my subscription to Binah. Articles were too boring and vague. Personally I feel If yuo dont want your kids reading it, DONT PUT IT ON THE COFEEE TABLE. why should I have to miss out on great articles and insights b\c someone cant keep their mail out of their 14 year old's hands...

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 10:15 am
I agree malka. if its not written toward a teenage audience I have no business leaving it where my teens can find it. One time my teenager found my ami living and was reading something I'd rather she didnt but I took ownership of the situation b\c I left it on the kitchen counter with the other mail...

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 5:46 pm
If you think your teenager doesn't read things, because you hide it...Experience has shown, they get their hands and eyes on it somehow. Even if you don't leave it on kitchen counter!!! My mom hid stuff under her matress...believe me, I found it and put it right back there....Not thinking of Mishpacha...

heidi

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 8:39 pm
My bracha to all of you is that Mishpacha should be the worst thing your teenagers are exposed to.

Scotty

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 8:42 pm
Why hide anything when it can be a springboard for adult, mature, bonding conversation with your teen?

(Confused emoticon)

Coke Slurpee

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 9:27 pm
The letters to the editors about the mags not being appropriate for kids drives me crazy. They are called womans magazines for a reason.
In our house, full of boys, they don't read the family first or binah. I don't have a subscription, but buy them from the store. But I do censor the zman and the mishpacha part of the magazine before my kids read it. If there is stuff I don't want them to read I usually just tear it out.
I hear what you are saying, scotty, but their are some things I just don't think my kids need to be exposed to. My oldest is thirteen and a half and I do let him read some stuff I don't let my younger boys read. If they were all older I might agree with you.

newme

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 1:16 am
I also never used to read the serials.
Then I started split ends because I liked the look of the graphics LOL and now I'm hooked.
It's light (which is great for today's serious world), it's fun and there is enough food for thought to make me think it isn't a total waste of times (like some serials I have started in the past - and stopped).

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 6:44 am
Scotty wrote:
Why hide anything when it can be a springboard for adult, mature, bonding conversation with your teen?

(Confused emoticon)

Maybe you should start a new thread.

malkacooks

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 9:24 am
I read this weeks... does anyone see where this is going? I dont see a plot moving forward...

koalamum

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 9:45 am
Do you think it's coming to a close? They remarry each other? Avi has both his parents? Happily ever after?!?! The end.....
Would that be good or bad?!?!
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room