Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
New Salad Recipe?

suzyq

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 12:42 pm
I'm bored of my salad recipes - anyone have any yummy ones to suggest? My criteria are:

Should be a parve recipe - No meat or chicken
No sugar in the dressing (but I will use honey)
Prefer lettuce-based.

Thanks!!

nottelling

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 2:01 pm
I was at a kiddush this past Shabbos and they had the most interesting salad there. I'm trying to track down who made the salad, rumor has it that it is from Mishpacha a while ago.

Maybe someone here has the recipe. The salad had lettuce, baby corn, split peas (or string beans, not sure), hearts of palm.. not sure if it had anything else. I don't know if there was sugar in it or not, but it was really fantastic.

If anyone has the recipe please share it!!

rachel91

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 2:04 pm
I have a very good one, but it's spinach based with sugar in the dressing, let me know if you're still interested.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 3:16 pm
I don't have exact recipes but here are some salads I make that you may like::
-romaine lettuce of spinach with roasted portabello mushrooms, pinenuts, sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil and balsamic vinaigrette (no sugar in the recipe)
- romaine or butter lettuce with cucumbers, tomatoes and avocado. dressing is lots of lime juice, some soy sauce, some honey, garlic and a bunch of cilantro pureed all together with salt. You can add oil but I don't.
-lettuce with chickpeas, tomato, cucumber, radishes and green tehina dressing (tehini, water, parsley, garlic, honey, lemon juice and orange juice pureed).

wispalover

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 9:21 pm
I am a bit of a salad addict- here are some of my favourites (I dont like tomato):

- romaine lettuce, purple onion, craisins, small diced roasted sweet potatoes, pear- I make a maple based dressing for it

- romaine lettuce, pomegrante seeds, roasted small dice sweet potato, purple onions, slivred almonds, terra stix

- romaine lettuce, cashew nuts, yellow pepper, cucumber, red onion (can add croutons)

- romaine lettuce, falafel bissli, onion, cucumbers

I dont like dressing, but I find that a simple balsamic goes with all the above

staten islander

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 10:32 pm
Romaine lettuce, dill, crushed garlic, pomegranate seeds, avocado and red onion(which was soaked in warm water to remove bitterness) Caesar dressing

cbg

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 10:54 pm
Here are my favorites:
They are super easy

Chickpea salad: chickpeas, radishes (sliced in the food processor), peppers (different colors thinly sliced strips), red onion (diced). For the dressing olive oil, salt, pepper. It tastes better after it sits for a while.

Jicama salad (similar to Waldorf): Jicama(peeled and diced) celery (thinly sliced in the food processor), cashews (preferably salted, but unsalted raw is also ok). You can also add craisins if you like. For the dressing a little bit of mayo, honey, lemon,a pinch of salt, whisk together and drizzle on top.

Brocolli slaw (from the bag) with your favorite coleslaw dressing. I usually use the same dressing as Waldorf and add some black pepper and a little bit more salt just so that it tastes a bit different.

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:52 pm
Anyone else have interesting/different salad recipes

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 1:01 pm
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....first

I posted a great-looking one here. I haven't tried it but can't wait to do so!

rachel91

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 1:43 pm
Yes,
Baby spinach
Avocado
Hearts of Palm
Mini tomatoes
(Pine nuts optional).
Sauce: oil, vinegar, ketchup, mustard, garlic powder, salt, pepper, sugar.

Grandma 1

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 2:13 pm
My 10 year old granddaughter was raving about a salad that she had in someone's house. She said that the dressing was made with salsa mixed with mayonaisse. The salad included avocado, and corn chips. Is anyone familiar with this, and if so, can you share the complete recipe?
Thanks!

suzyq

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 2:18 pm
Grandma 1 wrote:
My 10 year old granddaughter was raving about a salad that she had in someone's house. She said that the dressing was made with salsa mixed with mayonaisse. The salad included avocado, and corn chips. Is anyone familiar with this, and if so, can you share the complete recipe?
Thanks!

This sounds like taco salad. You can do any kind of variation on it - lettuce with tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, avocado, chips, meat cooked with taco seasoning.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 2:21 pm
Sounds like a classic taco salad. I would do it with lettuce, whatever veggies (cucumber, pepper, tomato) and avocado and corn chips. The dressing I would use is Thousand Island, but I guess you can also do it with some type of mayo and salsa thing. Some people add canned corn in too.

Another good idea especially for Shabbos is Turkey Salad. Get a chunk of turkey breast and cut it into chunks. Add romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, pepper, or white cabbage. Dressing is honey-mustard-mayo. You can add some crackers or pretzel chips for crunch.

busydev

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 2:23 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
Sounds like a classic taco salad. I would do it with lettuce, whatever veggies (cucumber, pepper, tomato) and avocado and corn chips. The dressing I would use is Thousand Island, but I guess you can also do it with some type of mayo and salsa thing. Some people add canned corn in too.

Another good idea especially for Shabbos is Turkey Salad. Get a chunk of turkey breast and cut it into chunks. Add romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, pepper, or white cabbage. Dressing is honey-mustard-mayo. You can add some crackers or pretzel chips for crunch.

you can also do honey-mustard-oil (if you like to make things a little healthier)

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 2:47 pm
When I was in high school, I made up a salad recipe that my class went nuts over - many of us still use it today.

lettuce
cherry or grape tomatoes/halved
purple onion sliced thinly
cucumbers in half moons
one can mandarin oranges, drained
one pint fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 bag zaatar flavored nish nosh crackers (although I have used Bissli in place of it and it's good too)
*avocado - optional

dressing:
1/2 c. mayo
3 tsp. mustard
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vinegar
1.5 tsp. garlic powder
1.5 tsp. onion powder
2 Tbsp. dried dill
1.5 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
sweetener to taste (depends on what you are using - I use 3 packets of Equal)

Mix together and add water until desired consistency.

Fiveboyz

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 5:52 pm
The above sounds great. Are you able to tag it?

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 10:15 pm
Keep them coming

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 10:46 pm
Grandma 1 wrote:
Thanks!

http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....alad/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics