Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
For those that wear eye shadow

do you match you eye shadow to your clothes?
no- that's tacky  
 32%  [ 25 ]
yes- I think its pretty  
 28%  [ 22 ]
I match it to my eyes  
 39%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 78

glamourmom

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 1:14 pm
whether you wear it every day or Shabbos or on special occasions, I wana hear how you do it. I've looked online for tips on eye shadow and some say never to match to your clothes and some say it is okay.
wondering what others really do.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 1:15 pm
I very rarely wear makeup. when I do, I use the same shades regardless of my outfit. I guess I'm not much help, but I'd say to wear what looks good with your eye color more than anything else.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 1:26 pm
I would say work with the face.

The clothes are also working with the same face, so it's all in the family.

You might want to make sure your eyeshadow doesn't actively clash with the clothes near your face. But actually matching isn't the usual.

I don't think anybody wants to really see your eyeshadow. It should just be doing its job making you look awake, alert, interested, happy, thoughtful, amused, and organized. A little setting-off, if anything. It shouldn't be a thing unto itself.

Nobody should think about your makeup.

Your mother should narrow her eyes and ask, so what happened, that you look so cheerful? That's how you know you got your blush on straight.

If people ask your opinion who didn't used to, you know you have your eyes on right. Your glance is looking focused.

If people confide in you who don't usually, you know your lipstick and teeth are right. Your smile is affecting them.

If your husband mumbles in your ear, you know your perfume is right.

But nobody should say, that purple eyeshadow really matches your scarf nicely.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 1:32 pm
Number one is a color that works well with my skin tone, coloring and other makeup. Number two is complementing my clothing.

teddyb

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 1:36 pm
I posted match my eyes, but I meant my skin as well. I don't base what I wear on my clothing.

suzyq

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 1:38 pm
I have a few combinations of colors that I use. If I know I'm planning to wear a specific color of clothing that day, I will sometimes use the eye shadows that match it, if it matches one of the combinations. If not, oh well. But I wouldn't wear eye shadow that matched my clothing but clashed with my skin coloring.

rachel91

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 1:40 pm
It's not only about the colors, but also how you apply it.
You can choose a more dramatic look, for an event or even shabbes and a lighter, softer look for every day.

I mostly use neutral colors, so they go with all type of clothes.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 1:44 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Number one is a color that works well with my skin tone, coloring and other makeup. Number two is complementing my clothing.

I rarely wear eye shadow, but this is what I do. If I'm wearing black, I'm not going to wear black eye shadow, but if I'm wearing blue, I would, but not an outlandish color. BTW, my eyes are blue. I try to wear clothing that goes well with my coloring, so it's all the same, but instead of exact, complimentary.

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 1:56 pm
I'm a makeup artist so I like to have fun applying my eyeshadow. I like to do looks that complement the outfit. That does not mean that if I'm wearing blue that I will wear blue eyeshadow. I may wear gold to match the outfit or I may wear blue or neutrals. Styles like that. Having your eyeshadow match your outfit doesn't mean it should be the same color as your outfit but the two should complement each other. '

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 3:46 pm
Heyaaa wrote:
I'm a makeup artist so I like to have fun applying my eyeshadow. I like to do looks that complement the outfit. That does not mean that if I'm wearing blue that I will wear blue eyeshadow. I may wear gold to match the outfit or I may wear blue or neutrals. Styles like that. Having your eyeshadow match your outfit doesn't mean it should be the same color as your outfit but the two should complement each other. '

Exactly! I used to wear eyeshadow and would always make sure the color went with my outfit. Almost every color looks good with my complexion and dark eyes. If I didn't find any color that suited my look, I would stick with black (the smokey look).
If you emphasize your eyes with shadows, take it easy on the lipstick. I never really wore lipstick myself.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 3:51 pm
My makeup artist told me to try to always match my skin tone and work with whatever palette of colors is on the rest of my face. Is that wrong?

Motherlee

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 4:07 pm
I just love eye shadow!

My palette has 120 colors and I use almost all.

I definitely choose colors to compliment what I am wearing every day.

Use a neutral tone on the whole lid and dab the burst of color on the end of the lid. Then, I blend with a separate brush.

Just be careful that the shadow does not extend above or too much around the lid. That's what makes it tacky.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 4:50 pm
No. But I didn't vote because I didn't want to call anyone tacky. That's not why I don't.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 6:00 pm
I have a grand total of about three and a half colors. If I have a color that complements my clothes, I wear it. If not, my default is a neutral shade. In either case, application is very sparing, so what you have is a suggestion of a shadow, not a block of distinct color. Just the other day I realized that I had a sample of hunter green shadow, and I was wearing a hunter green skirt, so I decided to try it. It wasn't a really happy experiment. The color is just too dark, and when I try blending it, more color gets deposited on some parts of the lid than others, so it's blotchy. I may try it as eyeliner, but as shadow it was a flop.

I don't bother listening to the fashionistas when it comes to things like this. Whatever they suggest this month they'll claim is totally exploded next month. Their aim is to sell more makeup, period. I'm not falling for that trick. I find a color I like and feel comfortable with, it's mine till it's discontinued.

Duggie

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 2:33 am
no no no guys NEVER match your clothes, you will drown out all color.

for blue eyes: use neutrals, bronzes, gold, (DON"T use silver or blues it will drown out)

for brown eyes: greens, golds, purples, blues, silver (almost anything can work actually, especially if you have dark skin)

for green eyes: golds, purples, greens

rachel91

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 7:22 am
Duggie wrote:

for blue eyes: use neutrals, bronzes, gold, (DON"T use silver or blues it will drown out)

for brown eyes: greens, golds, purples, blues, silver (almost anything can work actually, especially if you have dark skin)

What about grey- green eyes? Wink

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 7:29 am
Duggie wrote:

Good rules. I'm old school with the eyeshadow, and stick to the basics. I have auburn hair and blue/green eyes, so I stick with bronze and gold tones, and sometimes very deep eggplant purple for eyeliner. I try to keep my face natural looking and healthy, but not too "made up". It has nothing to do with matching clothes. I figure if I can "fake 8 hours of sleep" then I'm good to go.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:06 am
Duggie wrote:

I see a contradiction here... Anyway, I think this whole makeup thing depends on what look you are opting for. If you want to look natural, putting bright blue eye shadow that matches your dress won't do it. A touch of it when you have black hair and eyes (just putting myself as an example) can look very sophisticated. A ton of it can be tacky, and if you combine it with some bright color lipstick, you are ready to put on a clown outfit.

glamourmom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:16 pm
thanks all for voting and clarifying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics