Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher food in france ???

proud_mama

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 5:10 am
I am in CDG airport in Paris now, we are starving, nothing in this country has a hechsher that I recognize. I eat not cholov yisroel. Please tell me what to look for on the packaging to see if food is kosher.
thanks

Beyla

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 6:36 am
Almost nothing has a hechsher in regular shops in France. If you see something it will be MK on cereals or OU on ketchup.... But you have a list of the French Consistoire online with regular products which have been checked : http://www.consistoire.org/pdf.....s%20Sélectionnés%202013-2014.pdf?PHPSESSID=a0nl2kn6fs7i4c8r1t9mn4mhj6
(not chalav yisroel for dairy and not bishul yisroel for cooked).

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 10:40 am
Yes, look at this list. It can be useful if you are looking for packaged goods.
I am sorry to hear you are starving but I find it hard to believe. You can always find fruits and bread. I'm sure there is an apple somewhere in CDG...
In the States, well at least in NY, you can see tons of specifically Jewish brands with a million hechsherim. I guess we are a bit spoiled here, but you can live very well without all this.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:26 am
Try not to be such a smart aleck, amother. Much if not most of the bread in France is not kosher. You can probably get a banana here or an apple there in the airport, but I doubt there's a supermarket there.

proud_mama, were you on the Delta flight that was diverted? You have my utmost sympathy.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
Try not to be such a smart aleck, amother. Much if not most of the bread in France is not kosher. You can probably get a banana here or an apple there in the airport, but I doubt there's a supermarket there.

Still, you can find bread if you look for it. I'm French and I have no problem finding food when I come back to France. I never starved visiting my relatives who don't live in frum communities. You just need to be a DIY type of food finder and not too picky.
Yes, I doubt there is a supermarket there. I also doubt there are any in any airport.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:45 am
I'm the smart aleck amother. I forgot to mention that there are many, many people in this world who have no access to official kosher food (for whatever reason) and who perfectly manage to keep kosher. It's just that when you come from a place where every product screams at you kosher, and then you end up in a place where you have trouble finding out what things are to start with, it can be puzzling.

OP, I hope you will enjoy your stay in France (if it's your final destination). Things are getting really scary there now Sad

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:53 am
amother wrote:
Yes, I doubt there is a supermarket there. I also doubt there are any in any airport.

Precisely. Proud_mama really has a problem. You're French, so you have a good idea of what's kosher in France, even if you don't live there today. Plus, you don't stay at the airport, I imagine? You go to places with supermarkets. proud_mama isn't French and doesn't know the Consistoire list. Even if she did, how many things on the list is she going to find in airport kiosks and cafés?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:54 am
amother wrote:
I'm the smart aleck amother. I forgot to mention that there are many, many people in this world who have no access to official kosher food (for whatever reason) and who perfectly manage to keep kosher. It's just that when you come from a place where every product screams at you kosher, and then you end up in a place where you have trouble finding out what things are to start with, it can be puzzling.

And when you end up somewhere with a limited assortment of packaged food and no ability to cook anything.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
And when you end up somewhere with a limited assortment of packaged food and no ability to cook anything.

You don't NEED package food to survive, unless maybe you live in the North Pole. Just don't be picky.
When you don't have money to buy package food (yes, those packaged kosher foods are expensive), then you also manage with more simple stuff. Sorry for being a smart aleck again, but I think some people are just spoiled.
I DO NOT MEAN TO BE OFFENSIVE. And I will not continue this discussion.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 12:09 pm
amother wrote:
Even if she did, how many things on the list is she going to find in airport kiosks and cafés?

And how many kosher things are you going to find at JFK airport besides a bag of potato chips?
I think there are 2 different topics here:
1/ How to survive when you keep kosher and you are stuck at an airport?
2/ Where do you find products with hechsherim in France?

Beauticianista

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 12:16 pm
http://yeahthatskosher.com/201.....ance/

here are some options for you that are a ~20 minute drive from the airport.

Based on our research, there is no kosher food available at the moment inside CDG. (If this changes, or if you know of otherwise, please comment below with detailed information so we can update this post).

These 3 restaurants are all relatively close to one another and within a much more manageable driving distance from the airport than the plethora of kosher options throughout the city.

Inoun – Middle-Eastern, Grill (meat) - Kashrut: Beth-Din
Le Shine Sarcelles – Asian, Sushi (meat) - Kashrut: Rabbinat Loubavitch de France (Chabad)
Noblesse Traiteur – French, Asian (meat) - Kashrut: Beth-Din

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
You don't NEED package food to survive, unless maybe you live in the North Pole. Just don't be picky.
When you don't have money to buy package food (yes, those packaged kosher foods are expensive), then you also manage with more simple stuff. Sorry for being a smart aleck again, but I think some people are just spoiled.
I DO NOT MEAN TO BE OFFENSIVE. And I will not continue this discussion.

Okay, so let me get the last word in. Wink When you're stuck in the airport and you can't cook, what exactly can you get to eat that's not packaged and not apples and bananas? Nothing at all to do with being spoiled.

And the other amother, JFK happens to have (or did, the last time I looked) a kosher restaurant in one of the terminals. Even if not, you can get cookies, nuts, candy bars. There are enough things with hechsherim to ward off starvation.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 12:32 pm
Keep in mind that many people do not rely on BD for meat.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
Okay, so let me get the last word in. Wink When you're stuck in the airport and you can't cook, what exactly can you get to eat that's not packaged and not apples and bananas? Nothing at all to do with being spoiled.

And the other amother, JFK happens to have (or did, the last time I looked) a kosher restaurant in one of the terminals. Even if not, you can get cookies, nuts, candy bars. There are enough things with hechsherim to ward off starvation.

You won! I didn't realize we were looking for a kosher restaurant. I just thought we were just looking for food to avoid starvation. Sorry embarrassed

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 1:17 pm
You can only check what's on the list, and see what products from the list, or that the list allows by ingredients, are around.

If it's about a restaurant, it's not in the airport afaik!!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 4:32 pm
OP I hope you were able to find something there. You can usually find self-service cafeteria with Danone yogurt if you're ok with chalav stam. I must say CDG is not that great for food options. There should be a small supermarket in one of the terminals on the basement, on the landside.

The French amother, can you please elaborate bread situation? Because I thought only ones deemed cacher are baguette traditionelle/artisanne (sp?) whose ingredients by law are plain flour, yeast, water and salt. Most bread I see at airport seem to be commercial/industrial ones.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics