Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Pesach-dik baby food
Previous  1  2

ssbarnes

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 8:05 am
My first was that age his first Pesach. I took whatever fruits, vegetables we were eating and mashed them up.

Beware, once my son ate freshly made food, he didn't want to go back to jar food, so I purchased a mini food proccessor to make his meals.

shoy18

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 8:41 am
We used rice cereal, we were told to keep it totally separate and wash out any bowl or spoon in the bathroom sink. Since rice is Kitnyos and a baby needs it we were allowed to use it.

hadasa

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 9:42 am
Rice is not Chametz, but Kitniyos. If you're Ashkenazi and use it (even with a Kosher Lepesach Hechsher) for babies, you have to make sure to keep all dishes separate and wash them in the bathroom sink - or use disposable.

In Israel they now have KLP non-Kitniyos baby cereal based on chestnuts, which is probably very nutritious, but I wouldn't recommend it if yours is an allergy-prone family.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 11:11 am
OP here
thank you everybody for you replies!

The problem is that my baby recently doesnt like to nurse as much, I practically have to force him. So his MAIN source of nutrition comes from baby cereal (oatmeal and rice). I can't imagine vegetables/fruit would be enough for him. I guess if he is hungry enough he will go back to nursing more, but that just doesn't seem nice.

Can you give me the names of the kosher l'Pesach baby cereals? I will also ask my Rav re rice cereal.....oh, don't we all love pesach? Rolling Eyes

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 11:36 am
As someone who eats Kitniyot, I can tell you this, Most rice cereal, is real chometz not kitniyot. It is processed on the machines that do wheat and barley, most sefardic Rabanim do not allow it, because of that. There is still 3 weeks to peasach, work on introducing your son to chicken and soups (obviously well pureed). Cereal is really not the greatest source of nutrition for a baby, so try some table foods now so if you cannot use the cereals, the baby won't be hungry.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 11:39 am
Is there such a thing as cereal made with potato starch?

granolamom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 8:42 pm
I'd speak to the ped if your baby is getting most of his nutrition from baby food at only 5.5 months. I really thought that the primary source of nutrition for the first year should be breastmilk or formula.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics