Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Children and the matzav in Israel

momtra

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:04 pm
I have 2 daughters ages 6 and 8. They know the very basic version of what is going on Israel. We talk about the importance of the land, appreciation for the chayalim etc., Any ideas of something concrete I can do with them? ( besides for davening)

hila

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 12:53 am
Yes - get them to write letters to the Chayalim. Maybe include a candy with each one and send them to an organization giving out food and toiletries to the tired guys.

Teach them about the kedusha of the country, and why we have to defend it.

Teach them that it is our home, and that there are many children here too

etky

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:58 am
hila wrote:
Yes - get them to write letters to the Chayalim. Maybe include a candy with each one and send them to an organization giving out food and toiletries to the tired guys.

Teach them about the kedusha of the country, and why we have to defend it.

Teach them that it is our home, and that there are many children here too

This is what kids here are doing too. It is a great outlet for them and makes them feel effective. Yesterday my youngest DD took part in a care package packing session and also wrote and decorated letters for the chayalim.
They can also send things to organizations helping people, especially children like them, down south.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 3:22 am
Our family has participated in packaging for soldiers, and I also signed us all up to be paired with individual soldiers so we can each daven for a specific soldier by name (there's a link somewhere on the board). This makes the kids feel connected and proactive and also gives them a sense of responsibility.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 5:28 am
5*Mom wrote:
Our family has participated in packaging for soldiers, and I also signed us all up to be paired with individual soldiers so we can each daven for a specific soldier by name (there's a link somewhere on the board). This makes the kids feel connected and proactive and also gives them a sense of responsibility.

I'm ashamed to say that I'm hesitating before signing up my kids for this. I am worried that if, chas v'shalom, the chayal for whom my child is davening is killed, my child will feel personally responsible for his death.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 6:41 am
DrMom wrote:
I'm ashamed to say that I'm hesitating before signing up my kids for this. I am worried that if, chas v'shalom, the chayal for whom my child is davening is killed, my child will feel personally responsible for his death.

I hear you. We doubled up so at least 2 of us are davening for each soldier, plus DH and I are davening for all of them. This gives the kids some psychological breathing room in that they are making a significant contribution but it is not all resting on their shoulders. Also, we are constantly discussing Jewish philosophical topics around here so our kids have (somewhat of) an understanding that tefillah doesn't work like a vending machine.

momtra

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:14 am
Thank you all for your responses.
I will go out today and get some crafts that they can decorate letter with ...
Does anyone know of an organization here in the US( NJ/NY) area that I can contact?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics