Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Should a 2 yr old boy speak in full sentences?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:42 am
It is very hard to understand my just turned 2 yr. old boy.

He says some words clearly but most words are sounds he made up for the real word.

For example if he wants to sit on my lap he will point to my lap and say "yigh" (that's lap).

He doesn't use sentences - just words. Maybe he will say "wan maw" for "want more".

He turned 2 this week and I was wondering if he needs speech therapy.

I am a believer that if he has a handful of words to communicate he will probably progress on his own with time.

But I don't want to neglect it if he really needs help.

In general I know that boys might be more delayed than girls with speech.

suzyq

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:46 am
When my son turned 2, his speech was probably extremely similar to what you are describing. We had him evaluated for speech therapy through our local school system and he didn't qualify for services (he might have qualified if we wanted to pay, but this was for free services through the school system). He did have a handful of words but no real sentences. And he was very difficult to understand.

Now he's 2 and 8 months and his speech has improved DRAMATICALLY. He speaks in full sentences and is much more understandable. The improvement seemed to go in spurts.

I wouldn't worry too much, but if you want to make sure, get him evaluated.

bookworm10

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 11:13 am
There is a huge range of normal speech for two year olds. Did you go for a check up yet? Most doctors (In the US) have a whole bunch of developmental questions that they ask and if they think he is not on the level he should be, they would tell you.

My children speak very early. At 2 years old they are speaking clearly and in three-five word sentences. But that is the high normal. I know other two year olds who barely said 20 words.

If you are even slightly concerned, I would do an evaluation. Worse comes to worse, they will say he is fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics