Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Remodeling - what are your best organizational tips
Previous  1  2

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:01 pm
debsey wrote:
I'm OP - 5*Mom - that is BRILLIANT! I'm going to ask my builder if we can do it.

Make sure the cubbies are the right size to fit medium sized bins so the kids can easily transport their laundry to their rooms without dropping socks and undies all along the way.

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:01 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Pullout shelves or drawers for pots/pans and in the pantry make it easier to see what you have.
A seperate closet if you stock up on things like canned foods or paper towels can be helpful so thd pantry isn't over full.
I used to live in a house that had room for a table ( to fold on) in the laundry room- loved it. And a sink in the laundry room for soaking clothes, or wet clothes so it doesn't make all the other clothes wet.
Enjoy the house- May you have many wonderful times there!

The closet is something I'll have to do after it's built. My builder says pullout shelves are not his department. Where do you get that from? Something like California Closets?
It's cute you're saying a separate closet for the "Stock ups" I was so insistent on that, and the kitchen planner was going crazy from me, because she can't find a place to put it where it will look pretty - but I don't care so much about pretty, I'm so much more worried about functional. I mean, I want it to look nice, but I'm not sacrificing on a practical closet because there's a spot where a really pretty window can go. I'd rather have the closet. Originally, the wall where the closet was going to go was supposed to have a pretty round window. But I don't need the window!

UQT

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:44 pm
Central vacuums have a slot in each room to plug in the hose so you don't have to keep plugging and unplugging. It's supposed to be quite powerful. Dont' have one so can't advise you anymore on it...

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 3:00 pm
Washer/dryer and laundry room UPSTAIRS, near bedrooms. My MIL has one upstairs and it's brilliant! Most of the laundry is clothing, why should it need to be shlepped constantly upstairs and downstairs?

If I had the $$ I'd also put a small stackable washer/dryer in the kitchen or right off the kitchen for towels, shmattes, and tablecloths.

Covered "parking area" for bikes, scooters, etc. outside. Preferably bordering a concreted area so kids have a good surface for riding in the backyard.

Houzz.com had a brilliant drawer in the kitchen with containers for cooking utensils. http://www.houzz.com/photos/81.....tland

This pots and lids drawer is also brilliant: http://www.houzz.com/photos/98.....polis

Put dishwasher near where your most commonly used dishes go, so that it's easy and quick to unload. Also second the faucet near the stove.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 3:12 pm
Totally agree about the closet instead of the pretty window but windows and good lighting is really impt! I'd love to install under cabinet lighting one day ( my eyes aren't so great any more).
The last home I lived in had no windows on the sides of the house, so the sunlight coming in wasn't much.
I wish I had pullout pantry shelves- I've seen them in magazines and longed for them, so I figured I'd mention them.

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
Washer/dryer and laundry room UPSTAIRS, near bedrooms. My MIL has one upstairs and it's brilliant! Most of the laundry is clothing, why should it need to be shlepped constantly upstairs and downstairs?

If I had the $$ I'd also put a small stackable washer/dryer in the kitchen or right off the kitchen for towels, shmattes, and tablecloths.

Covered "parking area" for bikes, scooters, etc. outside. Preferably bordering a concreted area so kids have a good surface for riding in the backyard.

Houzz.com had a brilliant drawer in the kitchen with containers for cooking utensils. http://www.houzz.com/photos/81.....tland

This pots and lids drawer is also brilliant: http://www.houzz.com/photos/98.....polis

Put dishwasher near where your most commonly used dishes go, so that it's easy and quick to unload. Also second the faucet near the stove.

A stackable in my pantry???!!!! That IS brilliant, and so are those pot drawers. Dk if they'll work with my kitchen plan, but I'll show them to the designer.
Everyone, thanks so much! This is all so helpful.
debsey

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 9:44 pm
Thanks for this thread! I am in middle of building a house. Some of these ideas are really helpful.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics