Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Something isnt right! Fresh Yeast isnt bubbling second time!

Mevater

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 3:52 pm
I used fresh yeast I had in the fridge (from after Pesach) and it didnt bubble so I went out and bought new, another brand (Fleishmans cake yeast). Same thing,

Im using this recipe:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....+chic

6 cups warm water
2 ½ oz fresh yeast
6 lbs flour
½ C sugar
½ C splenda
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
3 Tbsp kosher salt
5 oz oil
EGG WASH: 1 egg yolk, beaten with 2 drops of water
1. Combine 1 cup warm water with the fresh yeast and let stand for several minutes until it bubbles. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the flour, sugar, splenda, eggs, egg yolks and salt on low speed for several minutes. Add the yeast mixture, being careful to keep it separate from the salt. Add the remaining five cups of water and the oil and continue to mix on low speed until just combined. Increase the speed to high and mix for 10 minutes longer.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise at room temperature until doubled in size, at least 45 minutes. turn the dough onto a floured surface. Divide and shape according to preference. Spray baking pans with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle them with flour. Transfer the shaped loaves to the pans and let the loaves rise at room temperature until doubled, about 45 minutes.
3. preheat the oven to 350. Brush the challah with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Bake until browned and 1 ½ hours for large challahs and 1 hour for smaller ones. Yields 5-8 challahs.

I read other recipes that say Cake Yeast bubbles better when theres sugar with it. This recipe says to add the sugar later.

This isnt the first time Im baking Challah.

What might be happening here?

greenfire

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 3:55 pm
yeast does get rancid - however having 2 yeasts from 2 different brands would indicate something else ...

might your water be too warm/hot ?? that could kill the rise-ability

chaiz

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 3:59 pm
greenfire wrote:
yeast does get rancid - however having 2 yeasts from 2 different brands would indicate something else ...

How would one know and how can one prevent it?

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 4:18 pm
Maybe your water isn't the right temperature. It has to be warm - not too hot because it will kill the yeast and not too cool because it won't activate the yeast. Also, try adding 1/2 tsp. of sugar to the yeast and water - it should aid the process.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 4:26 pm
yeast has an expiration date ... have you checked the date on the package ?

are you storing it in the fridge ?

Mevater

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 5:28 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
Maybe your water isn't the right temperature. It has to be warm - not too hot because it will kill the yeast and not too cool because it won't activate the yeast. Also, try adding 1/2 tsp. of sugar to the yeast and water - it should aid the process.
The second time I actually used a people thermometer and googled and I read the water temp has to be around 100 Fahrenheit which it was, and the expiration was far off on both.

I ended up using dry yeast and Im hoping for the best. Im using half white flour and half whole spelt so Im hoping it'll be edible.

Reesa

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 5:31 pm
You need to add sugar to see the bubbling. My recipe calls for 1/2 c sugar with yeast and warm water. I forgot the sugar once and it didn't bubble. Then I used more yeast from the same pkg and I did add sugar and it worked.

chaiz

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 5:53 pm
greenfire wrote:
yeast has an expiration date ... have you checked the date on the package ?

are you storing it in the fridge ?

I generally store the yeast in the fridge. I do not think I have had an issue with yeast going rancid. I was just interested in learning more.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 7:27 pm
I keep my yeast in the freezer, it lasts longer. I don't bother defrosting it. I use half cool water from the tap, half hot water from an urn/kettle. add all the sugar the recipe calls for. put in the yeast and rub it on the bottom of the bowl until it dissolves. the yeast primes much quicker than if I use lukewarm water.

mandr

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 9:58 pm
I also use a candy thermometer and that's the only way I know what's considered "warm" and not hot enough to burn the yeast.

BrachaBatya

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 1:48 pm
Definitely add some sugar or honey to the warm water and the yeast. It helps a lot. The water should be the temp of a "hot bath" - not burning hot but more than lukewarm. Hope things improve!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads