Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Mwahh Bwahh Gebawdle Doop

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 8:20 am
Yes that was me. I can barely keep my eyelids up and that's what I sound like when I talk. Reason: DD 8 months does not sleep!

He was never a good sleeper, but recently got worse. I put him to bed at 6, he usually takes a stretch until 10-11 and then starts waking up. Sometimes every two hours, Sometimes every hour, and for the last week, every 45 minutes. Last night he started waking up from 9!

When he wakes up, I try giving him paci and rocking him back to sleep, but he keeps getting more and more demanding. First that worked, then he demanded that I nurse him back to sleep, then he demanded nursing and staying in my bed, now he demands nursing and staying in my bed while he cries. I tried a bottle at one wakeup, he drank the whole thing but was up 45 minutes later again.

BTW, I gave in to him sleeping in the carriage because that kept him asleep for longer and I was able to rock him, but that no longer works.

Experienced mothers, please HELP! I want to start living again!

Motherlee

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 8:28 am
Your baby wants to be disciplined with a regular schedule and sleeping routine and it's your job as his mom to teach him how.

Find a good sleep-training method you are comfortable with and implement it.

Whatever method of sleep-training you end up choosing, stick with it! You want your life back, right? So don't give up! It may take a few days (max. couple of weeks), but the sleep-training will work.

Also, 6 pm is too early to put an 8 month old to sleep.

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 8:34 am
Motherlee wrote:
Your baby wants to be disciplined with a regular schedule and sleeping routine and it's your job as his mom to teach him how.

Find a good sleep-training method you are comfortable with and implement it.

Whatever method of sleep-training you end up choosing, stick with it! You want your life back, right? So don't give up! It may take a few days (max. couple of weeks), but the sleep-training will work.

Also, 6 pm is too early to put an 8 month old to sleep.

I know I need to teach, the big question is HOW? I don't do CIO and keep seeing mentioned that there are other methods, can anyone help me with the other methods (I don't know any!)

I put her to bed at 6 since she wakes up at 6 and if I put her later she wakes up very tired. (based on my experience I rally don't think this is the problem, or any problem at all)

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 9:08 am
Honestly? I think a baby's natural behavior is to wake several times a night, and want the comfort of snuggling/nursing with mommy. And it comes and goes constantly as they go through different sleep stages. (Yes, there are exceptions, some babies love to sleep.) So since I can't stand CIO, and constantly "retraining" with CIO, I just resign myself to no sleep for 2 years or so. No I don't love it. Yes I'm a zombie for basically 3 years straight if you count pregnancy. Sometimes theres a magic night or a magic week where baby sleeps long stretches and I breathe a sigh of sleepy relief. It never lasts...But still, I don't think nature intended for babies to sleep such long stretches. It's a skill they learn with time and are capable of as they mature. I'm happy enough if they stick to a scheduled bed time.

(BTW in the wild, no animal sleeps long stretches of deep sleep. People can also adapt to short stretches of light sleep - as every new mom does, as any farmer or shepherd had to - and function fine. I think my zombieness is probably due to going to sleep at midnight in addition to wakeful sleep.)

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 9:12 am
In the first year of life (at least) babies sleep needs and patterns change frequently and it can be hard to keep up. Number and duration of naps, bedtime, wake time... It would seem to me you are putting him down for the night way too early. How many naps does he take in a day, at what times, and for how long?

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:02 am
I used to put her to bed at 7-7:30 but she would wake up very tired at 6 (and a lot of waking during the night). I put her to nap at 8 am and she sleeps until 9 or 10. Then nap at 12:30 until 2:30. I would love another short nap at 4 until 4:45 since she's tired and then I can push off bedtime, but she doesn't cooperate. There's no way I can push bedtime past 6 or 6:30 latest.

GP2.0 I disagree. The baby is not hungry (eats 2 meals in addition to nursing and a bottle if necessary) and if feeling well (no teething, ear, fever etc) then they are capable of sleeping long stretches. She did it until she was 4 months old, so I know it's possible for her.

Also, the problem is that the cuddling is not helping. She doesn't go back to sleep nicely even when I cuddle or let her sleep in my bed.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:27 am
I didn't say they're hungry. Hunger is not the only reason to wake in the night. From an evolutionary perspective, one reason might be that if a baby slept long stretches the mom would feel OK leaving them alone for long stretches while going out to look for food, leaving baby susceptible to danger. A baby might keep waking to ensure this doesn't happen, that mom stays close by.

They sleep the most as newborns, it doesn't mean they "know" how to stay asleep, newborns are just so tired all the time.

I don't mean to be a downer, I hope you find something that works for you!

sunny90

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 2:22 pm
Look, I tried with all my kids to avoid CIO, I tried every gentle sleep training method there was, and in the end they all CIO and were SUCH happy babies afterwards! With my now 8 mo, he was taking naps in the stroller and waking up at night and not necessarily going back to sleep after nursing. It was extremely hard. At 6 months I let him cry at bedtime, went in a couple of times but stopped when I saw it was making him more upset, he suddenly stopped crying, talked to himself for a few minutes and went to sleep! BH since then it's been so much easier! He's happy and not miserable all day (like he was before) because hes taking normal naps and sleeping well at night, I'm happy because I'm not a zombie and yelling at my other two boys all day because I don't have any patience, and he is simply a delight to be around.
By the way, 6 is a very normal time for a baby to go to sleep if their last nap was only til 230. That may just be her natural body rhythm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics