Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
3 yr old omits most word beginnings

amother

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 11:32 pm
My son is three years old. He gets speech therapy. He has very few real consonant sounds. A few months ago we realized he has lits of word but they are incomplete as he skips the beginnings.for example " ome ere" is come here. He used to call me "ommy" until I worked with him and now says it correctly. He counts and knows his colors but doesn't say full words. He is soooooo frustrated. Any ideas?

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 11:41 pm
Have a lot of people around who are talking to each other and to him. Solitary care-givers chat with the child, but they don't have to, much, if it's easier for them not to. They can just coo, and sing a little, and play with toys, and get cooperation that way, with a minimum of language. That isn't a language rich environment.

You might have recordings going in the house, with clear, good speech. There are CDs perhaps.

You might make super sure that his hearing is absolutely fine, no wax, that kind of thing.

There are talking toys.

This is cute, if it is appropriate:

http://www.judaicawebstore.com.....shema koleinu

amother

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 11:47 pm
Op here. We speak to him all the time. He completely understands and he tries to speak back. He had a thorough hearing test teo weeks ago finally and he bh has no problems there. He hears 100% fine.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 11:52 pm
I'm a speech therapist working with this age. Let's take "come here" as an example. You want to get him to say it with the /k/ sound at the front. So you start by making the /k/ sound and having him copy you. If it's hard, have him touch his throat where the voicebox is and teach him that we make /k/ in our throats. Some kids also need you to tell them to keep their mouth open when they make /k/, so you can see the back of their throat. Use a little mirror so he can see what you mean. After he can say /k/ consistently, start working on one-syllable words that start with /k/. Use words that have sounds he can already produce. Make little flashcards and play Concentration (matching game) with him, or lots of different games. Keep it fun and light. Give lots of praise and encouragement. After he can say "come" and other words consistently, then start practicing phrases like "come here."

Basically just talk to his speech therapist and find out what sounds she's working on, and ask her for "homework" that you can do between therapy sessions. (Ask her to show you how she teaches the sounds to him.) If you can do nightly homework it will help him improve a lot faster.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 11:58 pm
Oh, and I forgot to say in my post, that even though it's frustrating right now, your kid is going to be fine. He understands language and he wants to communicate, he produces a bunch of words, and he's even producing simple phrases. This is great! And you're getting him articulation help now instead of waiting to see if he improves on his own! You're awesome! HE WILL BE FINE. It's going to take some hard work, but he'll be just fine. Hug

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:01 am
Speech therapist here again. Dolly, CDs and talking toys do not teach kids to talk. Kids with articulation disorders need help learning to make speech sounds from a qualified speech therapist, with followup at home.

mommy24

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:05 am
Wha does the speech therapist say? My child, 3, does this as well and was diagnosed with apraxia by the evaluator. But all the other therapist we have disagee with this diagnosis. DC has improved greatly with prompt therapy used now by her speech therapist. We have only begun with the b sounds and now bH DC self corrects anytime there is a b in the beginning or middle of a word.

My therapist gave me cards with pictures on them and words boy, bear, bow, baa (sheep), bye, bee, etc and we practiced one at a time. It was reaaly interesting DC would never say these word correctly on their own but with the cards DC had an easier time.

Good luck, it is very frustrating for both mommy and child when a child is trying their hardest to communicate and the words just can't come out right. :-(

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:22 am
OK, yes, competent therapy is needed.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:28 am
Thank you for all replies. I am going to try to work with hom on taking sounds he has and using them in the beginnings of the words. I also like the flashcard idea.
My speech therapist is working with him to being his sound to the beginnings of the words and try to get him to say more.
Honestly I have to change therapists because he is starting to act up with her. He needs someone more fun.I am hoping to change in September.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 2:09 am
Does DC have any older siblings who cater to him? My brother has a girl and a boy, the boy is younger. The boy would just grunt and scream, but somehow his sister knew exactly what he was trying to say and would run and get it for him. He's finally just now starting to speak for himself, at age 4. (I begged them for years to get therapy, but they kept saying "he'll grow out of it." Mad )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics