Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Defective oven vs incompetent baker

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:28 am
I manage to flop too many no fail cakes and cookies that I've given up baking.
My mom just claims its my oven but I always thought she just didn't want me to feel bad.
Meanwhile my sis came by for shabbos and made a cake from a recipe book, and guess what? It partially flopped. One side was very well done and the other side was kind of raw and doughy. That made me realize that my oven may after all be the culprit.
Question is... Is there anyway to fix that or would I need it replaced. I can't imagine my landlord would consider replacing Sad

coconutbutter

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:37 am
How come there is no hug option in this section!? I am not sure but I hope I can blame my oven too for all my flopped baking experiences, that would make me feel so much better. I do know that our oven is significantly slower and things need to be left in for so much longer than I'd like but I don't think it's just the cooking time that affects my sad Challas and cookies. I'll be watching this thread...but again- HUGS. It's so frustrating to fail at baking time and time again, especially when it's a sworn fail-proof recipe....

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:41 am
I would get an oven thermometer, measure if its the right temprature. if its not, you need to play with raising and lowering till you have it right. but if half a cake bakes and the other does not, it can be a circulation issue. try baking things in the center oven and placing the rack in the center too. both things can help and are easy fixes.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 3:32 am
Do what the previous poster said and then go from there. Lately my oven hasn't been baking cakes very nicely. The center is not done after the alloted time, but the ends are perfect. After the time is up, I put it on the top shelf at the same temp. for 10-15 minutes and it's perfect.

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 5:59 am
You can also try turning the cake at a Midway point.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen