Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Found pinworms & dont want my kids to get it. Advice please

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 3:45 am
I felt bad itching today and checked myself and found lots of worms. I am really afraid my kids will get it. please give me advice how to prevent it from happening.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 4:04 am
I am the OP. Just want to say I never had pinworms before and neither did any of my kids. Not sure if this is necessary just thought ill mention since I am clueless about any of these..thanks

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 4:15 am
You need to treat everyone in the house with Vermox, and repeat in 2 weeks. In the US you need a prescription, but you can buy it online at KiwiDrugs.com One pill for each person. They're even chewable.

If you have any dogs or cats, you need to treat them, too. It's fine to use Vermox on them.

Worms are super common this time of year. I read that at any point in time, in the US 1 out of 10 people have them! shock Don't feel bad about it, just take the medicine. You'll feel better in 24 hours.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 4:22 am
Thank u so much for reply..I am in the us so I'll have ask my doctor for prescription, it'll probably take too long to order online..I'll have my four kids & husb take it as well..thanks a lot, I got so scared cuz read online bad things about it...

MGmom

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 5:20 am
Pinworms leave eggs, use a disinfectant in the bathroom after every use, on your hands and on the seat, etc. Wash sheets in hottest wash possible to kill the eggs. I would not recommend vermox, I gave my kid kyolic (to be found in any health food store) once a day and it helped immediately. Rubbing a little fresh garlic on the rectum also helps a lot.

Good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 6:39 am
I am under the impression that Vermox and is generic Mebendazole were discontinued last year. I thought the current treatment is over the counter PinX

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
I felt bad itching today and checked myself and found lots of worms. I am really afraid my kids will get it. please give me advice how to prevent it from happening.

Sorry to be a downer but you probably caught it from your kids.

bnm

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
I am under the impression that Vermox and is generic Mebendazole were discontinued last year. I thought the current treatment is over the counter PinX

My local pharmacy can compound it

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:13 am
Lady bug, I checked my kids none of them have/had it or complained about it (my kids are little so they wouldn't be embarrassed telling me if they felt anything).

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 10:13 am
Not everyone can feel it.
It's more likely though that you caught it from them then that they will catch it from you.

To be safe, wash all your linen, often, in a hot cycle, and put through the dryer. Wash everyone's pj's and underwear the same way. Cut everyone's nails really short. I gave everyone their own hand towel for a few weeks.

And give everyone showers, not baths for the next few weeks so that no-one re-ingests eggs.

Pinworm in adults can often disappear on its own, as adults are more hygienic, and the likelihood of re-ingesting the eggs is lower. Not discouraging treatment, but if you are indeed the source, it's easier to nip in the bud.

Also, try to put some crushed garlic in your food daily (and if possible into your kid's food) - worms don't like this.

It's really annoying, but it's harmless.
Hatzlacha!!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 10:48 am
Thanks a lot. I greatly appreciate advice...

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 10:47 pm
amother wrote:

PinX is only about 80% effective, and doesn't control eggs well. Vermox is like 99.9% effective, and gets rid of eggs very efficiently. Besides, PinX tastes HORRIBLE, and it's really hard to get kids to take it. One small, orange flavored chewable is much easier.

I garden, have two dogs, and a daughter that runs around barefoot all summer. All of these are major ways to get worms, so we deworm regularly. Believe me, I've become a bit of an expert in the field. I order Vermox in bulk, and keep it in the house just in case. For me, I never feel any itching, but I notice that I don't sleep well, I'm crabby, and I start grinding my teeth. DD gets the painful itching. The dogs scoot their tush on the carpet. Once you know what signs to look for, you can nip it in the bud early.

The worst side effect I've found from Vermox is that if you have a really bad case of worms, you might get diarrhea or a stomach ache for about 12 hours.

Here's the full info on it: http://www.drugs.com/pro/mebendazole.html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics