Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Suggestion for nice gift that's not expensive

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 8:48 pm
My sister in law did a REALLY REALLY nice thing for my family which took a lot of time and energy. Only she could do it because it's her specialty. I would like to thank her with something REALLY REALLY nice but am having financial difficulties right now and can't even offer my time as I'm overwhelmed with a lot of things going on right now. I can't even have them for shabbos or a melava malka because they have a lot of kids and we only have a tiny apartment and we live an hour away from them.

Any suggestions?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 8:59 pm
Send flowers for shabbos?

Offer to babysit so she can go out with her husband?

losingweight

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 9:17 pm
Go to her neighborhood for the day and take both families to the park while she and her husband have the day for themselves.

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 9:52 pm
Will you be able to offer more time in the future, is yr overwhelm short term? Then maybe a promise of some future favor or whatever it is you would do if you had time. Meanwhile, a card.

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 4:00 am
What is your budget? Are you looking for something nice for the home that is a good value? Stores like Williams Sonoma sell last year's models of things really cheap in the summer getting ready for next year's models. I just bought a pizza oven and a waffle maker at 1/3 the price. Are you thinking of something decorative?

sky

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 7:08 am
I just helped someone out and they gave me a pretty cookie cutter. She wrapped it pretty. I know that even that was beyond her budget. And I appreciated it because it is something that I will enjoy.
Gifts doen't have to be expensive, just thoughtful.
Some ideas:
- pretty washing cup
- kitchen towels or pretty bathroom towels
- toy or activity for her kids

I was going to say home made fruit platter. But would be hard to travel 1 hour.

Barbara

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 7:18 am
amother wrote:
My sister in law did a REALLY REALLY nice thing for my family which took a lot of time and energy. Only she could do it because it's her specialty. I would like to thank her with something REALLY REALLY nice but am having financial difficulties right now and can't even offer my time as I'm overwhelmed with a lot of things going on right now. I can't even have them for shabbos or a melava malka because they have a lot of kids and we only have a tiny apartment and we live an hour away from them.

Any suggestions?

(1) A really nice thank you note.

(2) Offer to serve as a reference if she does this professionally.

(3) Make Shabbat for her. I know its an hour away, but perhaps you could deliver the food leaving time to drive back.

(4) Make something else. Eg, seveno1designs.com/2014/03/30/how-to-make-beaded-salad-servers/

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 8:27 am
Home Goods is selling lovely large serving platters for $12.99.

imokay

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 8:52 am
Depends on ur relationship, but for family that close, I wudnt get an actual gift. I wud write a nice note /card and make sure she knows how much you appreciate her help. If I absolutely felt I had to give something tangible it wud b cookies or other food I know she likes, presented nicely.
And look out for ways u can help her out in the future....
Family helps each other out.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:06 am
Can you bake her a cake/make cookies?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:30 am
OP here.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! She doesn't need professional references because she owns a business. She is all work, no play. Shabbos meals are very simple, cooked by her cleaning lady, served on nice disposable plastic plates. When we go to them for shabbos she tells me please don't bring anything. She doesn't use nice serving bowls or platters or washing towels either. She has a bunch of rambunctious kids (who break a lot of the things in their house) so we got them some shabbos treats with pretty flowers. I still feel like it's not enough though... She's superwoman, she doesn't take any vacations or breaks for me to even offer watching her kids! Wish I could do more to thank her...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics