Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
M'kimi

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:56 pm
Found all 5 episodes

(It looks like there are six but the links to #6 don't work)

Anyhow I was disappointed.

Hidden: 

It's based on the true story of a TV star who became a baalas tshuva.
First, I may have missed s/t but it seems to skip from her boyfriend saying he wants to be chozer betshuva & she say's no way, next thing you know she's saying Modeh Ani. What happened?

Also they portray the women she goes to Uman with as a bunch of nuts. And what's with women kneeling at the kever? Jews DONT KNEEL!

Then they visit a family for Shabbat with umpteen kids. The oldest DD says her hair is too 'parua' & not tzanus, could she make Alma a braid? Very nice, but the girl has a pony, not a braid, & it's a bit wild IMO.

Finally, Alma is conflicted because, although she loves her boyfriend, she's not sure she's ready to marry him. That would mean she'll no longer be able to study Yahadut or advance intellectually or professionally, will immediately become a baby-making machine & housefrau tied to the kitchen.

Very sad that all the viewers now think the only options are to be a chiloni or to have ten children in ten years. And why does she have to quit her job anyhow?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 8:15 pm
Nobody interested in watching or discussing? Or are all 77 of you (so far) busy watching?

chevi1

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 2:55 am
[quote="amother"]Found all 5 episodes

(It looks like there are six but the links to #6 don't work)

Anyhow I was disappointed.

Hidden: 

It's based on the true story of a TV star who became a baalas tshuva.
First, I may have missed s/t but it seems to skip from her boyfriend saying he wants to be chozer betshuva & she say's no way, next thing you know she's saying Modeh Ani. What happened?

Also they portray the women she goes to Uman with as a bunch of nuts. And what's with women kneeling at the kever? Jews DONT KNEEL!

Then they visit a family for Shabbat with umpteen kids. The oldest DD says her hair is too 'parua' & not tzanus, could she make Alma a braid? Very nice, but the girl has a pony, not a braid, & it's a bit wild IMO.

Finally, Alma is conflicted because, although she loves her boyfriend, she's not sure she's ready to marry him. That would mean she'll no longer be able to study Yahadut or advance intellectually or professionally, will immediately become a baby-making machine & housefrau tied to the kitchen.

Very sad that all the viewers now think the only options are to be a chiloni or to have ten children in ten years. And why does she have to quit her job anyhow?
[/quotei read the book which was amazing. The series dont come close was so dissapointed. Do not depict the story at all and so umclear. Which is strange considering that the author was involved inthe production....

grace413

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 3:55 am
She has to quit her job because in the world she joined TV is a big no-no. It's chazer traif to watch and if you work in it you are causing other people to sin, aside from the fact that it's an untsnius working atmosphere. (not my opinion, I'm explaining why).

I also found the program somewhat disjointed. The book is probably better.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 2:28 am
Is the book out in English? Or do you have a link to it in Hebrew? I might attempt it...

ocee

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 2:39 am
Been trying to find this series for ages! Thanks for posting the link!
I loved it!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:12 am
amother wrote:
Is the book out in English? Or do you have a link to it in Hebrew? I might attempt it...

I have the book in hebrew, not digital tho. The actual book...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics