Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
White/cream shirts - tznius?

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:02 am
I have a bunch of colorful and patterned shabbos skirts that seem to only match a white/ cream top. Been trying to find the "right" top and I finally found a nice one that is shabbosdik.
But when I was wearing it, a relative said to me that you can see way too much of the outlines of the underclothes. I was a bit mortified but then I asked dh and he said it was totally fine.
It seems that this is standard for white tops and just is what it is.
I'm confused tho, would you conisder that not tznius? Would you wear it?
Its not a see through material and its not "tight" though it is basically tailored to fit and tee shirt material on the back (lace design on front).
I wore it with a full shell underneath when the comment was made.
I tried it later with another shell layered under and it did make it a drop better though I can't seem to get awat from the strap outline showing though.
Curious to hear your thoughts.
(I live in a generally yeshivish area, if that makes a dif)

ricotta

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:17 am
Flesh colored undergarments will show less than white ones under a white shirt.

A light cotton or silk tank top/camisole underneath could be an option.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:18 am
I usually wear a beige/skin-tone bra if I wear a white shirt and then nothing shows through. I don't see a problem with it.

Of course, if the top is very clingy, then you may be able to see the outline of your underthings no matter what color the shirt is.

If you think it's fine and your DH thinks it's fine, I'd ignore this other person.

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:33 am
I only have beige. Apparently its not a see thorugh issue but a strap outline issue- that's where I'm wondering where the tznius line is drawn. I obviously don't want my straps on "display" but is it an issue of tznius.
Maybe I'll put it like this:
Would you be uncomfortable for your husband or son to see that on a neighbors back?
(As in the outline. Not the see through which would bother me)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 1:18 am
I'm not sure about it being "not tznius", but any visible strap lines are a definite fashion faux pas.

Try finding a button down blouse in a more opaque fabric. It looks dressier and is cooler in the summer, anyway.

Emotional

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 4:05 am
I used to wear white tops when I was slim (way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth...) A nude-colored bra solved the problem.

doctorima

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 7:15 am
I would not feel comfortable knowing that my strap outlines are visible, especially since you say that you live in a yeshivish area.

rosehill

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 8:21 am
Maybe you need a better fitting bra?
If you're seeing where the straps dig in, maybe they're too tight?

little neshamala

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:03 am
start looking around. many women's bra outlines show, even through colored tops that are not tight. as long as you arent wearing a poncho, at some point the outline of your bra strap will become noticable as you move around. thats just the way it is.

im NOT talking see-through- I mean the physical outline.

marina

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:16 am
tell your relative to stop staring at your body.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 10:38 am
Strap lines are icky. I disagree, I think they are avoidable.

They also eventually carve permanent grooves in the person's flesh. Not so great.

The satin bras with the wide strap are comfortable and the straps don't dig. Nobody should ever be uncomfortable in her clothes.

I don't think anybody wants to see the bra hook in the middle of anybody's back, either. Before tzniut, it's just not pretty. It's lumpy and inelegant.

I think it is off-putting to see anything you know the wearer didn't intend you to see. It's squirmy. You get embarrassed and the wearer looks as if they aren't in control, which brings faint scorn. It's dorky.

That particular top may simply be too tight on you. That's not about what color it is.

I am sure you are adorable, all Imamothers are, but that particular thing may not be doing its job of working for you.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Sun, Jul 27 2014, 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 10:44 am
You need a different bra. Also, some textures will just show your bra line, no matter how loose fitting and thick.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 2:27 pm
Wear a fitted beige undershirt, but you have to be very careful which you use otherwise you'll also see the outline. You may even have to wear a long sleeved one.

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 2:43 pm
Little neshamala, that's what I'm sayin... I think almost all tee shirts (and other shirts) show outlines. I never paid attn to it but the question is with the white since it may be more noticeable- is it more of a problem.
My judgement factor is how would you feel about ur husband bein behind me in line like that....
The color of the under garment I repeat - is not the issue (at least in my case.)
The size is not too small- the strap is standard thin with a small sizing "buckle" as standard. It just apparently gets outlined with the shirt material.

Marina - the funny thing is that I was in middle of conversation with another relative that I'm not sure if I should be happy or annoyed that relative #1 is on top of my clothing situation from head to toe to make sure nothing accidentally is not tznius... From snood slipping to skirt not covering when I sit.... Etc - tho I want to be informed if I'm doin somethin wrong.
And just then she came over and whispered that my straps are showing through....

debsey

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 3:36 pm
Bitachon101 wrote:
Little neshamala, that's what I'm sayin... I think almost all tee shirts (and other shirts) show outlines. I never paid attn to it but the question is with the white since it may be more noticeable- is it more of a problem.
My judgement factor is how would you feel about ur husband bein behind me in line like that....
The color of the under garment I repeat - is not the issue (at least in my case.)
The size is not too small- the strap is standard thin with a small sizing "buckle" as standard. It just apparently gets outlined with the shirt material.

Marina - the funny thing is that I was in middle of conversation with another relative that I'm not sure if I should be happy or annoyed that relative #1 is on top of my clothing situation from head to toe to make sure nothing accidentally is not tznius... From snood slipping to skirt not covering when I sit.... Etc - tho I want to be informed if I'm doin somethin wrong.
And just then she came over and whispered that my straps are showing through....

Personally, if I was crossing a line, I'd want to be told. I'd consider it caring and kind. But the question is, does the outline of a bra cross the line? If the bra itself is not visible, just the indentation? I'm not sure it does.
debsey

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:32 pm
debsey wrote:
Personally, if I was crossing a line, I'd want to be told. I'd consider it caring and kind. But the question is, does the outline of a bra cross the line? If the bra itself is not visible, just the indentation? I'm not sure it does.
debsey

Exactly the point of my post.
Yest haven't heard much response in terms of how people view it.

little neshamala

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:01 am
I dont think its crossing the line, as long as its not a see through or clingy shirt... obviously if your entire bra outline is bulging through your shirt that might be, but here and there the outline of a strap or closure is not a problem...I mean I have some skirts- A-line,not at ALL tight ones, that the way they fall on me just shows an underwear line. is that a problem? dont think so... what do you think?

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:44 am
I agree with Debsey and littleneshamala that seeing some outline of the bra is not a problem. As long as your shirt is not too tight, some materials just lay that way. I have seen women like that plenty of times. I wouldn't look twice and wouldn't care if my husband was behind you and could see. In my experience, but I could be wrong, most men just don't notice such things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics