Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Hot Water Urn

sunshine!

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:59 pm
I am looking for to purchase a hot water urn. I had one with a pump feature and find that they keep breaking. I am looking for feedback as to which urn people are happy with. Please post positive or negative experiences with yours. Thanks!

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:03 pm
I'm a big fan of this type of urn : http://www.amazon.com/West-Ben.....r+urn

I hate the pumping ones, bc it takes forever to pump even a small amount of water and if you forget to put on shabbos mode you can't do it anymore... this one is totally shabbat friendly without needing to remember to push any buttons

sunshine!

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:05 pm
singleagain wrote:

I hate the pumping ones, bc it takes forever to pump even a small amount of water and if you forget to put on shabbos mode you can't do it anymore... this one is totally shabbat friendly without needing to remember to push any buttons

Do you find it builds up sediment? How do you clean it if it does?

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:12 pm
sunshine! wrote:
Do you find it builds up sediment? How do you clean it if it does?

uhm.. to be honest, I have no idea... I just know that when my family had that type vs the pump type, I found it much easier...

also I just noticed that the link I gave was for a "coffee urn" I.e. there's apparently a basket for coffee... but there are urns just for hot water in that style with the flipper instead of the pump

Barbara

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:14 pm
singleagain wrote:

I have that one (or one that at least looks similar) for Pesach, and hate it. Its very hot to the touch.

We have this:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirush.....oiler

No electric pump, so nothing to turn off.

I only use it on Shabbat and yom tov, so I cannot tell you how long it would last with daily use, but we've had ours for about 10 years now without issue.

The only down side is that you cannot add water on yom tov, because it will switch to boil mode, which involves a light.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:16 pm
Barbara wrote:

The only down side is that you cannot add water on yom tov, because it will switch to boil mode, which involves a light.

we have a pump urn like that now, and our trick for refilling on yom tov, is to boil water in a kettle then pour the boiling water into the urn, no light will come on, since the water is pre-boiled

sunshine!

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:28 pm
But do you find that the pump doesn't effectively work after awhile? I have one now that I can get a trickle out of and that was after I replaced the seal...

Barbara

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:32 pm
sunshine! wrote:
But do you find that the pump doesn't effectively work after awhile? I have one now that I can get a trickle out of and that was after I replaced the seal...

Maybe I don't use it as much as other people do, but in 10 years, its gone from filling cup with one push to filling cup with 2 pushes.

suzyq

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:49 pm
Barbara wrote:
Maybe I don't use it as much as other people do, but in 10 years, its gone from filling cup with one push to filling cup with 2 pushes.

I've heard the same complaint about the pump not working after a while. I have had one, though, for over five years. It was a hand me down when I got it. I keep it on 24/7 and use it daily and it works great. Maybe it's just luck or maybe it's how hard you are on things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics